Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Concrete retaining walls
    Anyone have instructions of how to replace rotted railroad ties with poured concrete or retaining blocks.
    TIA
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 02:28 PM
    This is far more complicated than you might have thought. A block wall or even a concrete wall will slowly lean over unless you can make deep attachments into the earth pushing on it. This is especially true if it freezes where you are living. Chances are good that you will run into some deep attachments with the ties when you try to remove them.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 02:45 PM
    I agree with ballengerb1.

The following sites may be of use to you. I hope that they are:

Building a Block Retaining Wall

Home Improvement Article- Building a Retaining Wall - AOL Real Estate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retaining wall [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I have a 1.9 metre drop in elevation from my grade line on my home to the back alley and was wondering what the specs of lumber has to be tobuild a retaining wall, sections will still be 8 feet. What size posts and what thickness of planks do I have to use, and finally how far up towards...

Fence with 2x6 retaining wall [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a wood fence with 2" metal posts. I am going to backfill in front of the fence and am placing 2X6 pressure treated footer along the face of the posts to retain the fill. To insure that the wall remains in tact, I am placing additional short posts within the 8' fence spacing. The...

Landlord Retaining Deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I recently filled out an application to live in an apartment complex with another roommate. One of the leasing agents told my roommate and I that if we would come fill out an application and turn in a security deposit, we could move up the waiting list. We did just this. Later on in the...

Above ground pool retaining wall [ 2 Answers ]

Please send me information regarding retaining walls for above ground pools. I am having a difficult time with my community and my above ground pool. I am going to have to install a retaining wall around me entire pool, as well as back fill dirt Could you forward any information that you may...

Retaining back nut. Whu! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, this is my first post (and its going to be a stupid one!) I recently realised that the cold water tap on the sink in the bathroom was extremely loose and I discovered that what I believe is known as a 'retaining back nut' was broken. It is black and plastic and screws onto the tap just...

View more questions Search