Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Piggley Winks Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2015, 08:28 AM
    Sales Tax for Going to Kansas to buy a new car
    I am from Missouri. I am going to purchase a new car in a dealership in Kansas. Do I need to pay sales tax? If yes, how much. Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 10, 2015, 08:49 AM
    State sales tax laws vary from state to state. You may avoid Kansas state sales ax, but may need to pay Missouri sales tax when you register the car.

Ask the dealership; they deal with such issues on a daily basis and WILL know what taxes you need to pay.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 10, 2015, 08:59 AM
    If you take owenership in KS, you pay KS sales tax. Then when you register the car in MO you will need to provide proof of having paid sales tax in KS. If the sales tax rate where you register in MO is higher than the sales tax rate you paid in KS, you will have to pay the difference when you register in MO. Of course if the tax rate is lower in MO you do not get a rebate. So, if the rate is higher in KS than MO you may want to ask the dealer about shipping the car to MO so that you take physical possession in MO rather than KS, and pay MO taxes rather than KS taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How we make journal entries of input sales tax and output sales tax? [ 1 Answers ]

Sales tax has 3 terms No. 1- input tax 2. Output tax & 3 net Tax If the company has purchased materials from within the State that tax given is considered as input tax and if Company has sold materials within the state or outside the State and charged the tax rate then it considered as output...

Do you have to pay sales tax on a used car in Georgia if you buy from a dealer? [ 3 Answers ]

Do you have to pay sales tax if you buy a used car from a dealer in Georgia? If so, what is the tax rate? Do you have to pay sales tax if you buy a used car from a private individual?

Can you deduct the new car sales tax along with your state tax if you do not itemize [ 1 Answers ]

Can you deduct the new car sales tax along with your state tax if you do not itemize and what if you itemize?

Can you deduct the new car sales tax along with your state tax if you do not itemize [ 1 Answers ]

My child's day care provider refuses to give me the social security number or ein. Can I still file for the credit for taking care of the child?

I bought a car in 08 can I deduct that sales tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a car in 2008 but rent my home. Can I still deduct the car's sales tax on my taxes?

View more questions Search