Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saad Ahmed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2015, 03:55 PM
    Total Direct material cost variance help needed.
    I have a Managerial Accounting exam today and u can't seem to understand this question.

I have to calculate Total direct material cost variance from the following information...

Budgeted Direct material 4kgs @£8 per Kg
    Budgeted Production units 2000 per year
    Actual Direct material 19000 Kgs @£121000
    Actual production units 5000 per year.

Can I please have a detailed solution for this. Thanks a lot.
    jerileycpa Posts: 27, Reputation: 2
    Certified Public Accountant

Jun 12, 2015, 02:07 PM
    Not sure how you did on your exam but giving you the detailed solution wouldn't have been the right thing to do. If you're going to be a good accountant, you need to learn this stuff. And learning from mistakes is OK.

That being said, let's examine the question: if the company is expecting to produce 2000 units and it takes 4 kgs of materials per unit at a cost of 8 pounds per kgs to make them, what is the cost per unit to make? And what is the total cost for 2000 units?

Now it's the end of the year and the company spent 121,000 pounds to purchase 19,000 kgs of materials. What was the cost per kg for materials? And if they used 19,000 kgs to produce 5000 units, what was the material usage per unit? Can you see the variances now? I'd say the company did pretty good.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2015, 09:36 PM
    In any cost accounting problem we have various variances. There are price variances, there are usage variances and there are volume variances. You need to become familiar with these and the terms standard and actual

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Material Quantity Variance and Labor Efficiency Variance Accounting [ 2 Answers ]

The Albright Company manufactures rubber parts for the automobile industry. The company had planned to produce 4,750 units according to the November budget. Its material standard specifies a cost of $2.70 per gallon and usage of 1.5 gallons per unit. Variable manufacturing overhead is $2 per direct...

Calculate the cost variance for direct labor [ 1 Answers ]

Actual cost @ actual volume = $1,800 Standard cost @ actual volume = $1,300 Standard cost @ Standard volume = $1,100 Calculate the cost variance for direct labor:

List direct material cost [ 1 Answers ]

List of direct material cost

View more questions Search