Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SamC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 07:42 AM
    "Other Renters" in New Jersey - Who are they?
    I live in a house in New Jersey. I share the house with two people. We all have separate leasing contracts with the property owner. On my tax return my total rent paid was my monthly rent multiplied by 12 months. No problem. One of my housemates is saying that turbo tax asks for the names and social security numbers of "other renters". And he would like my social security number to list on his return.

On my tax return I see it as a separate contract and since I'm the only one listed on that contract then there are no "other renters" listed. However the three of us do share the same address so my roommate says that there are "other renters".

Who is correct? Me or my Roommate?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SamC
    I live in a house in New Jersey. I share the house with two people. We all have separate leasing contracts with the property owner. On my tax return my total rent paid was my monthly rent multiplied by 12 months. No problem. One of my housemates is saying that turbo tax asks for the names and social security numbers of "other renters". And he would like my social security number to list on his return.

On my tax return I see it as a separate contract and since I'm the only one listed on that contract then there are no "other renters" listed. However the three of us do share the same address so my roommate says that there are "other renters".

Who is correct? Me or my Roommate?
    I think you are correct, as you have separate contracts, and hence you do not share any responsibility, even though you share common areas of the house. Am I correct that if one of the other tenants were to fail to pay his rent the landlord would have no recourse to come after you? In that case it's similar to renting an apartment in a large building -- you don't list all the other tenants in the building, even though you share the buildings common areas.
    SamC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    I think you are correct, as you have separate contracts, and hence you do not share any responsibility, even though you share common areas of the house. Am I correct that if one of the other tenants were to fail to pay his rent the landlord would have no recourse to come after you? In that case it's similar to renting an apartment in a large building -- you don't list all the other tenants in the building, even though you share the buildings common areas.
    Yes you're right. The same applies now that one of my roommates is moving out. The burden to find another tenant is on the landlord not us and because of that our rent remains at the agreed upon amount - we don't have to "pick up the slack" so to speak.

I had to pull up my tax form and see what question he was looking at. Turns out the question asks:

15b. Enter the name(s) and social security number(s) of all other tenants (other than your spouse) who shared the rent.

He must be confused. I'll explain to him that we don't "share" rent at all. We all pay our own rent. Thanks for the confirmation on what I was originally thinking.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Ok, this is for the TR-1040 Homestead Rebate Application. I agree with ebaines. That's probably why your landlord set it up that way. You are not sharing the rent with anyone. You pay your own specific rental directly to the landlord.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Agreed! You are good as long as the amount of rent you report is the amount you paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

The difference between "sex" and "love making" [ 13 Answers ]

Ok I have been answering questions on this site for just over a week now and I might add enjoyed it, but I am now interested in peoples views on the following. What is the difference between Sex and Love making? For many years I have had what I call Sex with my husband , sometimes good and...

Should I have the fan switch turned to "ON" or "AUTO"? [ 6 Answers ]

Should I have the fan switch turned to "ON" or "AUTO"?

View more questions Search