Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaysaw1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 AM
    Double Wall Oven
    I am getting ready to have a new double wall oven installed. The current one uses a 35 amp circuit breaker. The new one requires a 40 amp breaker. The electrical box is Square D QO. The new breaker will be a double pole. My question: Can I just replace the breaker or does the all the wiring need to be changed also? Thanks for your help
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 27, 2015, 01:22 PM
    It really depends on the AWG of the existing cable. A 10 AWG cable is listed for up to 30 amps. An 8 AWG cable is listed for 40 amps.

Also, if the existing cable is 3 wire may cause you to have to replace it any way, if the new appliance require a four wire cable and receptacle.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 27, 2015, 02:28 PM
    Agree and the chances are slim to none that you have 8 awg. Who is doing the install?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool double oven [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool double oven mod.# rbd275prb00. I don't have a wiring diagram. My question is there any way to test the thermal overload without removing the oven?

220 v double wall oven [ 2 Answers ]

How many amps does the circuit braker need for a 220 double wall oven?

Looking for Accessories on a GE built double wall oven, model jc28y1bc. [ 0 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1952. When we moved into this house, one of the things that we really enjoyed was the original GE Built-in Double Wall Ovens. They work very well for their age. There are two things missing from them that I am hoping to find. The rotisserie & meat thermometer. I cannot find...

View more questions Search