Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaidyno_c Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2015, 06:23 AM
    How to get a foster parent or be emancipated with out your parents finding out?
    I'm 15 almost 16 in a week, and I want to move out and away from my parents. Its very stressful living there. My parents and I do not get along at all. Its my mum and stepdad. They go out 4 out of the 7 days of the week, to the bar/pub and don't come back until late. And if they're not out then they are back home with alcohol, and they're verbally abusive. I've been called almost all the names in the book.

I've tried to talk to them about it, but they always reply with "Its none of your business and you should worry about yourself." And then we will argue. I've shouted at them. They just get me so frustrated when they don't ever listen. I've been struck a few times. They never listen at all. I could say I've been experimenting with fireworks and they'd just nod. They're not supposed to be parents.

My step dads kids want nothing to do with him anymore. And that is proof. Growing up my mom wasn't always around. She was pregnant with me in high school and she went out a lot. If I had to say anyone "raised" me it was my grandfather. But now he isn't around anymore. He lives 3 hours away. And I'm sure that if he could afford it he would take me in. If I could just get out, I do have a place to stay and a place I can go. Getting out is the problem. I'm just afraid to do it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 07:01 AM
    You need a plan, and an adult to reach out to. Talk to your granddad and see if he can help you with that plan. Often having a plan, reduces the fear, so reach out to a school counselor or teacher also. 16 is about the age you need to think of what you want to do beyond your parents control,so try not to let frustration and fear get in the way of what you want to do with your life.

You are hardly alone with having a difficult home life, or frustrating parents, but getting some solid reasonable adults in your life is a good way to get guidance and support. Do you have any adult relatives, or family friends, who fit that bill? Maybe a church leader?

How are your grades? How many siblings and what are their ages?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 28, 2015, 07:06 AM
    You cannot get a foster parent, or become emancipated, without your parents finding out.

Is your mother married to your step-father? I ask because if they aren't married, he is considered to be only her boyfriend. As her boyfriend, his place is not to have any legal control over you. Even as a legal step parent, hitting is an offence, and should be reported- have you considered calling the police? Speaking to a teacher or your family doctor or seeking help in any way could very well assist you, as far as an investigation goes.

It doesn't matter whether you like your mothers boyfriend/husband, he is your mother's choice, not yours, and unless he is causing you harm in some way, or not providing a safe environment, or the essentials of life- food and shelter for instance, which your mother has a legal obligation to do as well. You are left with a not so nice relationship with both of them, and it is causing you, as well as them no doubt, a lot of stress and anxiety.

However, abuse is abuse, and needs to be reported.

Are there other siblings in the house?

Try to realize that your parents seem stuck in their own world, as they are out often, and when at home, they drink. You can try arguing with a drunk, but you'll never win, and they probably won't remember what the argument was about the next day anyway. It takes far more skill and professional intervention should they ever seek help, to address the alcohol issue alone. Maybe that is at the core of their behavior.

You can't change them, regardless of their problems, or their lifestyle. Arguing with them will get you nowhere, as you've learned. And you've also learned that not walking away, and instead continuing to yell and scream back at them, only makes things worse, not better. You may want to talk to them, but if they are unwilling to talk, or make changes, you are far better to walk away before things get out of hand. Be the bigger person in other words which is a sad place for a 16 year old to be, but that's the way it is.

Try to find someone to talk to face to face. Answer questions directly and honestly, and see if you can't gain some assistance in making your life better at home. Particularly with any physical abuse going on.
    jaidyno_c Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2015, 05:56 AM
    It is only me I have no siblings.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 06:02 AM
    Don't the step dad's kids live with you? Are you not close?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 29, 2015, 06:16 AM
    Where is your biological father?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 29, 2015, 06:17 AM
    I don't see any law that says you can't prevent your parents from finding out that you are going through the process.
    PA doesn't have exact statutes for emancipation.
    PA LawHELP.org - Your Online Guide to Legal Information and Legal Services in Pennsylvania

You can even apply to the state for a small amount of funds if you go live with your grandfather and he can't afford to support you. What state is he in, if not PA?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2015, 04:40 AM
    Sorry, before anything happens, the parents will be notified and an investigation done.

Also, sounds like just yelling and name calling ,what makes you think a foster home would be better ? Some are of course but not all foster homes are good.

So not without your parents being notified, nothing will happen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can a child in foster care get emancipated [ 4 Answers ]

My friend is in foster care cause her mom beat her really bad the other night. She don't want to be there she wants to be with her boyfriend and the rest of her family. She is a few months shy of turning 18. She has had a lot go on in her life and I do believe that the best thing for her right now...

How Do I Get Emancipated from My Parents in the State of Minnesota? [ 4 Answers ]

I Just Wondering How Do I Get Emancipated From My Parents In The State Of Minnesota? :(

Hampshire finding foster parents [ 3 Answers ]

I would love to trace my foster parents Auntie Mickey and uncle Chuck where my brother Anthony and myself Amanda Clay . I was about eight and all I can say they where the best times in my child hood and life they where the most caring loving people I have meet and they give me the stable roots to...

How do you get emancipated without parents interfering? [ 15 Answers ]

How can you get emancipated in Texas without your parents interfering?

I'm in foster care therefore how do I go about getting emancipated? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and I will be 17 on Valentines Day. I was placed in repite earlier this year, the first week in October. I was then put back home with my mom and now I am in foster care. A friend was telling me that I could be emancipated because I do not want to go back home with my mother. I...

View more questions Search