Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike Tran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2015, 02:30 AM
    What my company is doing is illegal right
    I work in vancouver because I'm an cabinet maker/ production so I just came back to work today after the new yeats eve and all over the plant I see theses new letters stating this

""any problems caused durning production by working carelessy and mistakenly will not be tolerated

Actions:
    1.) Violators will have to sign out before fixing the problem can only sign in after fixing.

2.)Plus the cost of materials used in rebulding will be deductdd from the payroll.

Before they had this letter they had a letter saying that if we mess up we get 5 stikes
    First 1 is warning
    2 training by supervisor
    3 traning by plant manager
    4 2 weeks suspenned
    5 fired

But back to the new letter I was wonder what they are doing is not allowed is it? I mean I make 11.50 a hour so if I make a mistake by accident I have to clock out and sign in?

Please I need help I'm thinking of leaving if they are doing this against the laws
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 6, 2015, 03:42 AM
    The 2 issues are being forced to work off the clock to fix mistakes, and materials cost will be deducted from pay.

I don't know Canadian labor law, but I would GUESS that this is illegal, or partly illegal.
    I would suggest that you get 5 or more other workers together to contact a labor lawyer, or the Dept of Labor for Canada.

While you cannot be fired for finding out your legal rights and complaining, you can be fired for doing a poor job, and if you do this alone, you probably will be fired, given that you admit that you do make mistakes. The company does have a legal policy for dealing with mistakes, and sounds well organized.

Meanwhile I would suggest that you work more carefully. Only you know how often you make mistakes.
    Your pay is pretty low. That's probably why they don't just fire people, and instead resort to this.
    Do good workers get good pay raises?
    Usually that's how it's done and how you get somewhere.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2015, 05:45 AM
    I know that would be illegal in the US, so I would be surprised if it was legal in Canada. The original letter however seems fine. It is a stated policy of how they will deal with mistakes. I think it is very heavy handed, but legal. But in the US, you have to paid for all the time you work, employers cannot force you to work off the clock. Also in the US employers cannot deduct anything from your pay without your agreement.

I would suggest you contact the local Dept of Labor to see if these practices are illegal in your area. You don't need to get additional employees together to do that, but if you wish to file a grievance against your employer, then yes you should get a group.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What defines illegal association in company law? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the definition of illegal association in company law?

Is it illegal for a company to ask me to match a bid of a competitor? [ 7 Answers ]

I own my own company and placed a bid for some promotional items. The client later came back to me and asked if I could lower my bid (by $13) to match the competitors bid. They value my business and know that I can get the job done. I would say that I am one of their preferred vendors. Is this...

Is it illegal for a company to deduct state taxes for time not worked in a state? [ 2 Answers ]

I sometimes work in a state that has a state income tax but I live and work mostly in a state that does not have a state income tax. My employer has been deducting state taxes (for the state that has an income tax) on all my earnings even though more than half the time I do not work in that state....

View more questions Search