Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cacman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2014, 06:18 PM
    Chronic chest pain (hole in the heart)
    My younger brother aged 23 has being suffering a heart condition that up till now, none of the several doctors we have seen has been able to categorically identify. From all indications, I am tempted to assume that they have all been guessing in both their diagnosis and treatments. As a mater of fact, he has taken more medical tests than should be needed in actual sense to diagnose his condition and recommend an effective treatment. About 5 years ago, he started complaining of slight pains in his chest when he squeezes too hard or tries to lift something heavy. At first, we thought it was nothing abnormal so we didn't consider it serious. When his complaints became rather more often, we took him to the hospital and some tests and screenings were recommended. He was referred to a cardiologist who later concluded that he had a hole in the heart and also a lung infection. We got the recommended drugs and administered them as recommended for the recommended duration yet there was no impressive improvement.

Realizing how worried and scared our mum always got when he complained he resolved on his own to manage the condition. He stopped complaining, and when asked, he said he was fine. At some points through those years, when the pains became unbearable, he would complain again and the entire routine would be repeated often ending with a different set of results and treatments. The inconsistencies in the diagnosis and reports of the different doctors visited made us confused about the whole thing but since we didn't have a better option, we continued with their recommendations. To cut the long story short, about a month ago, he complained that the pains have taken another form. Now, a little pressure on the chest can make him feel the pains. What usually took a really tight squeeze or a lot of pressure can now be caused by a simple touch. At the same time, he has a cough that has lingered for over a month now. I don't know if the cough is related to the heart problem but he's been showing symptoms that kind of makes the whole thing look complicated.

Symptoms include tiredness, weakness, sometimes loss of appetite and generally, I think he is losing weight. This whole episode is really taking a toll on the entire family. To make things worst, doctors nationwide have been on strike so going to a hospital is out of the question. I really need help on what the problem might be. I have been browsing the internet and so far, it seems he has chronic cough that may be as a result of GERD (I'm not certain though). As for the heart, I'm totally confused. I look forward to help from everyone that can. Thanks.

In case you are wondering where on earth doctors go on strike nationwide, its Nigeria.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 30, 2014, 08:33 PM
    Has a hole in the heart been officially diagnosed?

To me, and I am a nurse not a doctor, it sounds like costrocondritis.

Costochondritis Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ulcer pain with chest pain and high blood pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I have a history of bleeding ulcers. I've had gastric bypass and the ulcer is at the connect area where my stomach and small intestines are stapled. I take Prilosec most of the time but sometimes go off it when I don't have money to buy then my ulcers start hurting to point where it goes up to my...

Why am I getting this heart/chest pain? [ 3 Answers ]

I had heart surgery where they went up my leg and implanted a device in my heart to close a hole when I was 11.I'm 18 now. Now for some reason when I like do little exercise, like at work when I was pushing a heavy cart and re-stocking things. I get these really bad horrible heart pains, and they...

What can be done for chest pain feels like my heart going to break threw my chest [ 2 Answers ]

I was sleeping I woke up to take some pain pills for my back. Two hours later I woke back up and it feels like my chest going to explode

Chronic hip pain continuously, pain has moved to the middle of the thigh [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything other than ibuprofen, naproxen, arthritic pain medicine, loratab than may help this continousl chronic pain.

Left sided groin pain + dizziness and infrequent chest pain [ 1 Answers ]

I started having pain in the left side of my groin yesterday, it's painful to sit, walk, stand and then today I took my mom to church and during church I had dizziness and severe chest pain. I was able to drive us home luckily, I had another episode of the chest pain when we got to her house and...

View more questions Search