Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Dec 10, 2014, 03:55 PM
    Troffer light knock-outs
    I'm installing some surplus troffer lights in my basement; no suspended ceiling. The ends of the light housings have 3 knock-outs and I'm using FMC to connect the lights. For the most part I used the center knock-out which brings the wires into the cover over the ballast. In several places I need to use the end knock-out which, as you can in the picture will result in some of the wire exposed as it is routed in to the cable tray/light end. Is this acceptable? Am I missing something? Why add those knock-outs if not useableName:  light2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  20.3 KB? As for code, I would think there should be no exposed wiring. The top has the opening for the usual whip assembly but that doesn't work in my application. Thanks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2014, 06:57 PM
    There should be a cable cover so wires going through to the other side are covered.

Dec 10, 2014, 07:32 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured that too but since these were used in a commercial app. and wired from the top the covers were trashed. The only cover now is the one that covers the wires from the tube sockets. Do you know if the covers you referred to are available separately. Not to clear in the pic, but that fitting is right up against the tube socket and below the cover for the wires from the tube sockets. Might have to reconfigure... Thanks...
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 11, 2014, 05:26 AM
    Sorry I can't help with sourcing the covers that are required here, but would suggest a Google search and/or call to a local electrical supply house may help. But I am curious about something - many (most?) commercial applications of lighting troffers like these are for use with 277V circuits, as opposed to 110V in residential. Are you sure that the ballasts are proper for your application?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2014, 06:36 AM
    "Why add those knock-outs if not useable". Keep in mind that the troffers are just one part of the fixture. There are literally dozens of different configurations of lighting that can be installed in a troffer. The additional knockouts are there for those other configurations. It's up to the installer to use the ones that fit the application and the installation.

Dec 11, 2014, 03:12 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    ebaines-didn't think about the voltage till I got them home. These were in a small bank branch building and fortunately wired for 120V. Several ballasts were replaced with INtellVolt which operates on 120-277v.
    Mbound-that makes sense, different designs & configurations possible. I'll just have to rethink my wiring plans :)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2014, 03:43 PM
    They make an angled BX connector, only comes up about 1 inch or even less.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Try outs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm trying out this year for varsity cheering Android I don't know anything but what all do I need to know for cheering plzzz help

Hanging 2' X 4' fluorescent troffer lights in a grid [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting 2' X4' fluorescent troffer lights in an Armstrong Prelude ceiling grid in my basement. Armstrong says don't put any weight on the grid, other places I have read place them in the grid and add extra wires to the grid around the lights. Code probably also requires that the lights be...

Try outs [ 4 Answers ]

Okay my cheerleading tryouts are on Thursday!! Any advice? My toe-touch is pretty good now, I have sharp motions, and good spirt. But what do I do if I mess up? Should I ask to re-do it or will I get points deducted? Should I wear make-up? And also we drew our numbers today and I'm the last one....

Help with try-outs [ 3 Answers ]

Hey my try-outs for my high school cheerleading suad is march on the sixteenth and I can't do a cartwheel that well or a roundoff and my toe touches aren't that well either do think I will make it and do you have anything you can say about it?

View more questions Search