Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    afcinc's Avatar
    afcinc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 20, 2014, 02:48 PM
    Can someone with a F1 work visa receive a 1099-MISC tax form?
    Can someone with a F1 student visa be paid as an independent contractor and thus receive a 1099-MISC at the end of the year? We will be using the individual for a 3 month project and plans call for her to be paid as a contract worker and not as an employee. Here supervisor is asking whether this is permitted considering her F1 student (actually post student) visa.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,801, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Nov 20, 2014, 03:31 PM
    Technically, the F-1 student is supposed to be paid under Form W-2 with state and federal income taxes withheld.

    The F-1 student is EXEMPT from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes.

    However, employing F-1 students as independent contractors is common practice and is NOT detrimental to the student, provided he/she puts money aside to pay the tax bill when they file Form 1040NR with a Schedule C. The Schedule C allows the student to deduct employee costs which they normally could NOT deduct if paid under Form W-2, so it is a WINNING situation for the student, as he/she will pay the a somewhat lower amount of income tax under the Form 1099-MISC.
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Nov 20, 2014, 03:41 PM
    Your answer is NO, you cannot be paid as an independent contractor, but technically Atlanta gave you a more definitive answer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,801, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Nov 20, 2014, 07:36 PM
    Tickle is right; the answer IS no.

    However, the law is NOT enforced, and there is NO disadvantage over the long-term, as long as your residency status remains as a non-resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

1099 Misc And F1 Visa , 8843 form ? Tax Payment [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Georgia and I have a F-1 visa. I got 1099 MISC form a month ago . Box number 7 is filled only. My question is that 1)Should I fill out Form 8843? What is the advantage of filling this form? 2) Also, Should I fill out State 500 form? What is the advantage of filling this form?

1099-MISC tax form for F-1 visa student [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all- I'm a new member here, and have a question about 1099-MISC tax form. I'm actually on my student F-1 visa, during the year 2008, I have a part time job as a music instructor. The music school sent me a 1099-MISC and I have earned about under 3500 and which was documented in box 7. I...

1099 Misc and W2 form (social security withheld), F1-visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there! Will really appreciate if someone can help me with filing of my tax return for 2008. I am on F1-visa, Nationality Indian. I worked in a company as CO-OP (practical training) while I was in school. I graduated in summer and joined the same company on October as independent...

F1 visa student - self employment- 1099 tax form [ 13 Answers ]

I am a phd international student in Houston Texas. I am a citizen of Tunisia. I joined the program in fall 2005 and I am on campus employee. I am starting my second year now. I am filling W2 form for tax. I have an opportunity to gain extra income as self employed or independent contractor from...

View more questions Search