Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2014, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkaboutit View Post
    He can't really stop me from having Internet privlages the whole house has wifi, he doesn't want me to go to school anymore so he can't take me I pad away or I can't do me school work or receive me emails from teachers. I'm not sneaking behind his back he knows I have me Ipad he was there when me mum sent it to me. He didn't give me any rules about the Internet. I do fully understand what I did wrong and what harm I could have done to myself I asked for help because I realised. I get reminded two times a week when I go to drug classes. You're right it hasn't been very long I suppose it just feels like forever being in my room all the time. It would be nice just to be able to come out of my room or when I come out not to followed around. If I went to jail which I highly doubt I would have I would have more freedom than what I get in here at least they get to leave their cells. I'm stuck in mine

Oh yes he can. Simply by password protecting the access. And limiting the hours of your account. Its HIS internet... he pays for it. He can limit it to whenever he wants to let you have access... and he can make new rules whenever he wants.

Don't for one minute think he can't or won't. Because he can really easily. And he can take them away when you aren't working on school assignments. And you aren't all the time. It doesn't matter WHO paid for the iPad.

Any privileges you have or don't have are completely up to him at any given moment.

Despite what you are saying... I see a lot of behavior that isn't accepting of your responsibility here just from your actions and words. Yes it is that obvious.

And many people in jail... only get out of the cell one hour out of 24, and even then its under strict supervision and many times its with handcuffs and shackles.

Not to be mean...but you still aren't seeing this all in the right perspective yet. You are still acting very much like the victim and not someone that takes responsibility for what they did.

Its really easy to say one thing...is a very different thing to actually do it.
    Thinkaboutit Posts: 270, Reputation: 5

Nov 18, 2014, 04:17 PM
    I really don't understand maybe cause I'm not an adult. I've done everything he has asked me to do I don't argue with him he tells me to stay in my room I stay in me room he wants me to do me school work I do it. I haven't done anything to not accept responsibility of my action I'm not doing anything but what I've been told to do. My actions I took drug I needed help I told me dad so he could help me get help. How else can I take responsibility of me actions. I'm sorry for making bad choices I haven't taken anything since I told my dad. You say I don't see the harm I could have caused myself well I do I could have died I understand that. The harm I could have caused my dad, I could have been caught by the police and cost him money ( he took me to the police station) I understand that it would have been terrible if I had of died but I didn't I asked for help before it got to that point because I did realise I was making bad choices. I understand why he won't let me go out unsupervised because he's scared I'll make bad choices, but what is going to happen if he lets me out of me room. Am I being punished for asking him for help? Why am I being punished he wouldn't have even of known what was going on if I didn't tell him
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 18, 2014, 05:30 PM
    I recognize your restless, irritable, and discontent feelings as being normal considering your background so buck up and see where you are in 30 days. Then 60 days! Until you are truly grateful and have overcome your problem only a zip darned fool would trust you in any way whatsoever!

You are lucky to have the chance to even get on the right path through Good Orderly Direction, so expect this for a year! You want out of the house more? Ask to be taken to AA, and NA meetings! Then you can get out EVERYDAY and maybe twice a day! You really should be around those that can relate, after a 30 day detox period.

That's how it works like it or not. Its not about trust, but recovery, and healing!
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2014, 05:33 PM
    You are doing good by doing everything he asks, when he asks. Don't get me wrong there. You don't argue about everything. Also a very good thing. Perhaps you aren't seeing the point I was getting at. And maybe it is a maturity thing. I do remember being your age very vividly... but as an adult... I also can see all the many ways I was mistaken as a teen. And there were many, and its true in most cases. I have the benefit of life experience... something you don't yet. Just like everyone else your age. So don't knock yourself there. This is part of learning to be an adult. It doesn't come to you suddenly all at once. It's a process that takes time.

Sometimes doing the right thing means its going to result in something unpleasant. But that same unpleasant experience helps teach you that you can't do anything you want. You never will get to do anything you want even as an adult.

Now the point I am trying to make... which might be a bit difficult to grasp in its entirety as someone your age. But if you REALLY did. You wouldn't be whining about being stuck in your room after what has only been literally a couple of weeks.

No lets say, you might know that action a + action b = Result c , but its an abstract thing... now if you had a very close friend or family member do the same thing, only they almost died of an overdose, or really went off the deep end with heavy use and because a shell of a human as serious junkies do. OR if you saw someone close to you do this and DIE from it. It becomes something very, very real, and not something someone else told you about.

Or put it in another way you might be able to relate to. If you saw the movie Platoon or Jar-head II. You might see a fairly accurate representation of what its like to be in combat... at least as much as can be expressed on film... but its absolutely NOTHING like someone actually shooting at you when your life can be extinguished at any moment if you do the right thing and even quicker if you don't.

Or express it in another way in something I actually have personally experienced. You see a movie that has some exceptionally realistic gore and graphics... lot a dead burned bodies.. you think oh wow... maybe even EWWWW! but if you ever had to see almost 150 (the exact number is slightly different but I'm avoiding the exact number for a very good personal reason) You were stepping over them when everything was still smoldering... many of them barely recognizable as human if you hadn't seen the teeth, or enough exposed bones in what looks like people shaped charcoal to know otherwise, and the smell that you will never forget as long as you live, that comes back every time you remember the situation... that has you waking up in night sweats at times for years later... knowing that somewhere among them, two were people you had dinner with the night before that were good friends.

You would see the difference from what you THINK you know... and the reality of the situation, are very, very different things.

Nov 18, 2014, 07:16 PM
    I hear what you are saying that I don't really understand what could have happened because I've never seen or experienced it for me self. To be honest I don't really see me self as being a junkie or addicted to the pills I was more scared of the things I was doing to get the pills I know taking them was wrong. I really don't know f all I've decided, I'm just going to listen to what me dad says stay in my room and do what ever it is that I need to be doing
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2014, 07:40 PM
    THere are a lot of things its going to be difficult to really understand at your age... and other kids will believe the same as you and they will be just as wrong too... because until you do have those extra years, and you do have that extra life epxerience that nobody has while they are still living with their parents. You just won't have the perspective, you will eventually have it. Its all part of maturing. Almost every teenage thinks they have it all figured out... how their parents can't possibly understand because the earth didn't exist xTeen years earlier... (if you understand a bit of my Yankee sarcasm) but give them a few years of having to fully support themselves and pay ALL their own bills, rent, utilities, insurance... everything. Or risk being homeless. Your perspective on everything changes from a fantasy to reality. By your late 20's you will clearly see all the misconceptions nearly every teenager has. Real life is nothing like most teenagers imagine it is. Its certainly not as easy. It might get easy after years of working hard for a few lucky ones... for the rest its going to be a struggle the rest of their lives. Balancing what they want (or even need) with what they can afford at the time. The less responsible you are, the more difficult it will be for anyone. That's a universal statement. Very few people are born to the rich with silver spoons in their mouths. THe rest of us have to work hard for everything. Making the right or wrong decision on anything can mean the difference between being successful and being homeless.

I've been destitute...I've worked extremely hard to get wher I am which is comfortable....and I know it that could change, very , very quickly for the worse....and almost did recently. A lot of luck..and the right choices barely let me get through it. It was more likely to go the wrong way.

If you see my point. I have to do a lot of things I'd rather not HAVE to do....but I do it without complaining because the alternative would be far less pleasant. Plus whining never improved a bad situation, or changed anything for the better. It keeps you from facing what needs to be done and works against you in the long run. Eventually you will learn how to do that. If you join the Military after you graduate ( Graduating is the MOST important thing you can do, many doors are closed to people who don't) You will have many of your bad habits drilled out of you during your service.....and everyone has bad habits. Some just have more than others.

We like to say Grin and bear it in the USA...the British say, Keep a stiff upper lip....

Nov 18, 2014, 09:02 PM
    Thanks for the advise. I'm so looking forward to getting older now. I guess I don't have much of a choice but to sit in my room and do as I'm told until my dad thinks I'm ready to be trusted to come out. As we say here I guess I'll just have to harden the f up!

Nov 19, 2014, 07:18 AM
    I have heaps on spare time sitting around me room all day any suggestions on something to keep me occupies? I have heaps of school work to do but I can't sit there for hours doing it I need something to break it up a bit
    Expert

Nov 19, 2014, 08:06 AM
    Make yourself useful around the house. Ask for more CHORES.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 19, 2014, 08:40 AM
    Heck, don't even ask for more chores, just do what you see needs to be done.

If there are dishes in the sink, do them. If the floor needs vacuumed, vacuum it.

Show your dad that you have matured through this situation by taking action where action needs to be taken, without being asked.

Nov 19, 2014, 09:37 AM
    Sounds like a good idea, but do you think it's OK to come out of me room without asking I mean I don't mind I'd love it but he did stay in my room
    Expert

Nov 19, 2014, 10:08 AM
    Then ask him first.

Nov 19, 2014, 02:05 PM
    Well that was a waste of time asking me dad if I can help around the house. Basically he said me step mum is busy enough looking after the me little brother she doesn't have enough time to supervise me all day as well. They don't need to watch me all the time it's not like I'm going to do anything. But whatever I didn't argue I'll think of something else
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2014, 02:31 PM
    Ask him if there is anything you can do to help him or your stepmother around the house, but actually suggest to them that you take over the hoovering, washing your own clothes, dusting, washing windows, cleaning the bathroom, preparing some simple meals, for example. Point out that someday you will have to take care of yourself, so you might as well start learning how to do things now. Or see if they would like help with yard work, learning how to maintain the car, etc..

In your room you can exercise, write in a journal or write short stories, read, watch television on the computer, do some research online of something that you are interested in, you might find some free courses on a topic of interest that you can do online. Find a forum of people who share an interest and get involved. Or maybe consider finding a forum of people who you know would be a positive influence and get involved online with them. You could start thinking about your future and what career you might want to get into. Find out what is involved for education or training.

Nov 19, 2014, 07:50 PM
    Thanks for the advice, I don't think I'll ask him about helping again I don't want to keep on bugging him he'll probably just get more annoyed at me. But the other thing sound great, It will be good to try something else to keep me occupied I get so bored sitting here doing school work.

Nov 30, 2014, 12:59 AM
    Seriously how long can he keep me in me room. I'm starting to think he's just keeping me in me room cause he doesn't want to have anything to do with me. I'm over it
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 30, 2014, 02:30 AM
    Then go tell him that

Nov 30, 2014, 04:13 AM
    Seriously there is no friggin point talking to me dad I know me step mum don't want me here. I just want to get out of the house then I won't be a problem for me dad. It's been heaps long now
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 30, 2014, 04:34 AM
    Start doing something for yourself; do you still go to school? You are in the UK, right ? You have been in this muddle for days now and you say there has been no settlement reached between you two??
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Nov 30, 2014, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkaboutit View Post
    Seriously there is no friggin point talking to me dad I know me step mum don't want me here. I just want to get out of the house then I won't be a problem for me dad. It's been heaps long now
    A month is not that long. I know it feels like forever, but it hasn't been.

Have you looked into support groups or asked your father about attending one?

How are your studies going? Making good grades?

I don't know what happened with your mother to have her send you to live with your father, however, I am beginning to wonder if history might be repeating itself. Have you been as calm and understanding as you think you have been?

As we have said, it is going to take a long time before your father calms down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am the trustee of my father's revocable trust. His home is in the trust. Instead of [ 8 Answers ]

I am the trustee of my father's revocable trust. His home is in the trust. Instead of selling the home, I would like to keep it for myself, but I'm not sure how to do this.

My boyfriend doesn't trust me but I trust him when I possibly shouldn't? [ 10 Answers ]

I am 20 years old and me and my boyfriend, who is 21, have been dating for about 4 months now. This is only my second real relationship and he is the only guy I have ever felt like I truly loved. We tell each other we love each other all the time, and he has even brought up marriage but I'm not...

In an A,B, C trust/ no will, community stock not listed in trust, who gets [ 5 Answers ]

My stepdad passed away in may of 2009, him and my mom were married for 20 years. He had an old a,b,c, trust that dates back to 1986 and it has no will. The C trust lists some old assets but most are gone. He never redid it just updated it in 1993 he son appears to have been named in it the...

Revocable Trust (Grantor) Trust w/3rd party trustee [ 2 Answers ]

It was my understanding that if a grantor set up a revocable trust and a third party (let's say a bank) was named as trustee, the trustee was required to file a Form 1041. I am unable to locate any IRC or other guidance that would confirm or deny this. Please help. Thank you. Diana

View more questions Search