Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enviro_phd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2014, 08:22 AM
    90% approval in covenants for amending
    Good day. I recently moved into a home that has a voluntary HOA. My husband and I went to the 1st HOA meeting and of course were vocal in our questions and concerns. This got me elected by my fellow residents to the V.P interim for 2014 and President for 2015 during the next meeting (election meeting).

Our covenants and bylaws were done in 4 phases 20-22 years ago. Both are in dyer need of amending and updating. However, the covenants state that a 90% approval of owners are needed to make amendments.

Problem being, 20% of our homes are currently in trusts, foreclosure or just been abandoned at this time. Another 15% are renters and we are trying our best to track down all the owners.

With the HOA being voluntary is there any loopholes? It doesn't say 90% of HOA members... however, could it be construed as 90% of the participating owners for us to get this this amended?

We reside in Florida.

TY for your time
    LTG
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2014, 09:01 AM
    You need an attorney to review the provisions. The HOA should have an attorney on retainer. If the by-laws specify owners, then you need 90% of owners. If it says members, then you only need members.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 14, 2014, 01:41 PM
    Problem being, 20% of our homes are currently in trusts, foreclosure or just been abandoned at this time. Another 15% are renters and we are trying our best to track down all the owners.
    is there any loopholes? It doesn't say 90% of HOA members... however, could it be construed as 90% of the participating owners ...
    The HOA was probably set up as a non-profit corporation. You might want to see if this corporation is in good standing (having filed it's required reports, etc.) Check here: Search By Entity Name

But no, chances are that you need 90% of the owners (or the owners of 90% of the lots). Check the county tax records to find the mailing address for each owner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HOA Covenants Question [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am on my HOA board and we have a simple issue. The covenants are old and outdated. We want to update them. We know we need 2/3 of the residents to approve the changes. We also know most of our residents will not show up for a board meeting so we were planning on going door to door to...

Covenants Changes and Grandfather laws [ 4 Answers ]

We moved into our subdivison 1 1/2 years ago we have two horses which is fine according to our current covenants. We can have as many as 3 on one lot, we also clean up after them every day and have a garbage company that comes and picks up the manure out of a dumpster once a week. This is also in...

Restrictive covenants [ 17 Answers ]

I have a situation and I am sure how to help my uncle. Arturo owned a seven acre tract, Skyacre, which was adjacent to a similarly sized meadow, Greenacre, owned by Benno. In an effort to protect his view of Greenacre and sight line of the horizon, Arturo, without benefit of counsel, drafted...

View more questions Search