Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Squishhie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Horror-like Mother Goose
    About 6 years ago I was in a library in the Teen Fiction section. And I found a book that was in the horror section. It was a horror verision of Mother Goose with very distubing pictures. There was at least 50 short stories or poems.
    A couple that I remembered:
    One was about a little boy around 6 years old. He loved to play with sissors, of course his mother told him many times that he would cut his fingers off.... well he did
    Another:
    Was a little boy that like to slide down the stair railing from the 5th floor (I think). His Father told him to stop or he'll fall and break his head. Of course he did.

I know it sounds mean but it just that it's been in my head and when I tell people about it they don't believe there's a book like that out there. Right.:mad:

If anyone can help that be great!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Hi, Squish! Sounds like it might be one of the Struwwelpeter books. There were a few written by different authors. The one that comes to mind is Heinrich Hoffman's Struwwelpeter: Fearful Stories and Vile Pictures To Instruct Good Little Folks. There is a story in that one about a boy who cuts off his fingers with a large scissors. But there are others as well. Please take a look at this link. Click on each book for a bit more info. Hopefully you will remember the cover illustration when you see it:
    Barnes & Noble.com - Book Search: Struwwelpeter

Here is another one in case it isn't any of the ones on that link:

Barnes & Noble.com - Books: Cautionary Tales for Children, by Hilaire Belloc, Hardcover

Let me know if none of these fits and I will keep on trying for you. :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 04:13 PM
    I think I have heard of this Mother Goose version but have never actually seen it. Good case in point and one I have seen is the Bros. Grimm stories which were quite horrible but which were toned down coming into the 2lst century for english children.
    Squishhie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Thank you RubyPittbull! I been looking for this book for 6 years. Dang I could Kiss you right now!:D :D :D :D :D
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Yes, Tickle. The Brothers Grimm tales were just that... grim. I used to love those stories as a kid. My mother had the original stories in her library and I would ask her to read those to me for my bedtime stories. So, now you have your explanation as to why I am the way I am. :p
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 04:42 PM
    LOL squish! I am glad that I found the right one for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Horror [ 1 Answers ]

Early 80s on HBO and I don't remember much. There were some creatures on an island or island resort in the jungle. The only thing I remember for sure is the end the main characters a man and woman are running to a helicopter and one of the things gets on and she starts to fall out and the movie...

The Snow Goose [ 1 Answers ]

The story The Snow Goose written by Paul Gallico was made into a movie for TV some years ago. Is is ever going to be released for sale (DVD) to the general public. I want a copy

Skin horror [ 1 Answers ]

Hi room,I'm very interested in skin lightnin without blemishes,I've used lightenin creams for some time and always have brown or black patches like knuckles etc,very embarassin,now I have some spots white spots,after a brief enjoyment of blemish free skin its back to sq one,please how can I get rid...

View more questions Search