Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poohgirl_cia Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Sick puppy.lab/pit/brittany spanial mix
    Took puppy (3 mo) to vet about 1 week ago for something that bit him.. got all better then all of a sudden he just lies around hasn't eatten for about 2 days barely drinks water... has dry heaves and seems to be losing weight... have offered wet food.. because what dog won't turn that down... didnt work... any help will greatly be appreciated... im scared he's not going to make it until I can get him to vet on mon morn
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Unless he is already excessively thin, I don't think waiting until Monday will hurt. In fact the canned food was a mistake. Tempting a dog with rich food is nearly always the wrong thing to do. Besides, a sudden change in diet often causes digestive upsets which won't help the problem. Read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 Puppies are often too fat. To judge his weight, go to http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx You should ask the vet to confirm your judgment.

Apr 8, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Unless he is already excessively thin, I don't think waiting until Monday will hurt. In fact the canned food was a mistake. Tempting a dog with rich food is nearly always the wrong thing to do. Besides, a sudden change in diet often causes digestive upsets which won't help the problem. Read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 Puppies are often too fat. To judge his weight, go to http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx You should ask the the vet to confirm your judgment.
    he wouldn't eat the wet food and when we took him to vet last week he weighed 18lbs but now u can see his rib caged... do u think it might be parvo or something?? We've only had him for a short time but I've grown so attached to him... and don't want him to leave us
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Pooh, see if your dog will drink a little chicken broth or beef broth. You need to keep him hydrated.

Did you call the vet to see if anyone is covering emergency calls? If not, please do so and explain what is happening. If your vet cannot see him until first thing tomorrow morning, and you are uncomfortable waiting, check around and see if there is an Animal Hospital in your area. If there isn't one, and you still feel you cannot wait until tomorrow morning, call all the vets in the area. See if anyone will be willing to take you in today on an emergency call. If you can't get anywhere, you need to make it clear that you expect to be able to bring in your puppy when the vet opens his office first thing in the morning.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Parvo usually has diarrhea, but there are other serious things. Seeking emergency care today is a judgment call. If anything does happen to him and you didn't, you will feel terrible. A chubby puppy with reserves of fat can go longer.

Apr 9, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by poohgirl_cia
    took puppy (3 mo) to vet about 1 wk ago for something that bit him..got all better then all of a sudden he just lies around hasnt eatten for about 2 days barely drinks water...has dry heaves and seems to be losing weight.....have offered wet food ..cuz what dog wont turn that down....didnt work.....any help will greatly be appreciated.....im scared hes not gonna make it til i can get him to vet on mon morn
    Update... he has parvo
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Poohgirl, I am so sorry. Did the vet think it was caught in time to help him through it?

Apr 9, 2007, 10:37 PM
    Update

He's got a 50/50 chance with the meds... so I'm doing a lot of praying... in the process of writing this I managed to see him take his last few breaths... he didn't make it
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 03:31 AM
    That is terrible. I feel so bad about not urging you to take him in for emergency treatment in my first post. It just didn't sound like parvo.
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Oh pooh girl. I am so, so sorry.

It really takes a trained eye to recognize the symptoms early enough and then, it really is one of those 50/50 things. I know you feel upset and depressed, but please remember that this does occur and a lot of pups don't make it. It has nothing to do with you, or whether you did a good job taking care of him. You must believe this.

I hope this doesn't put you off adopting a dog in the future. Parvo doesn't discriminate between pups bought from breeders or pups adopted from a shelter. It is just a very unfortunate and devastating fact of life that all puppies are susceptible to. If you feel like talking, please post back.

Apr 10, 2007, 08:29 AM
    THANK YOU BOTH... Labman even if I did take him in over the weekend he was a small pup and if he was bigger he would have had a better chance... at least "Trucker" new I was there for him when he took his last breaths... We still plan on eventually getting another dog but not until we get the yard cleaned and his first stop will be the vets for parvo shot.. it didn't make difference for "Trucker" for all we know he may have had it before he got his first shot... but again thank you both
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2007, 08:34 AM
    You are welcome Pooh. I am glad you recognize that. At least you were able to give him the love and attention he deserved, even for the time he had. Yes, you do need to ensure all the areas in your home and yard are free from the virus. Labman recommends bleach to clean everything. Outside, it is not so easy. He has a link regarding parvo that I do not recall. I am sure he will post it when he stops by. He recommends that you wait at least 6 months before bringing another puppy into your home. It ensures that any possible traces of the virus are completely gone. You don't have to be that vigilant if you adopt an adult dog.
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 09:48 AM
    This is a link to the AVMA site, Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about
    Unlike some other sites, I think you can count on what you read there.

I hate parvo. I have seen too many questions like yours. I hate to tell everyone with a sick puppy to go to the expense of emergency care, but the smaller the puppy, the more important prompt care is.

I must say how pleased I am to find a series of good answers that I need to add little. Thanks Ruby.

Yesterday I had to spend time I didn't have on other answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Concerns about mixed pit puppy [ 8 Answers ]

About two weeks ago my nephew's friend had a puppy dumped off in their yard. They already have 7 dogs and his mom finally said no more. My nephew said it was a golden retriever mix. After some discussion, my husband and I decided to let him have the dog. After we got it home and began looking...

Very very sick 12 week old black lab [ 4 Answers ]

I just need some help I have a very very sick black lab/boarder collie mix 12 week old puppy. She is not eating ,voimting up and is losing weight like crazy . Took her to vet and they are running everything but they have no idea.just help me someone I can lose another dog.my sharppard was put done...

Lab mix has parvo [ 13 Answers ]

I just adopted a lab mix puppy (about 10-12wks. Old) from our local animal control on Fri. 1/28/06. As soon as we got him we took him down to the vet and he received his vaccinations and deworming. On Friday night he had diaharrea which we thought was due to the deworming. By Sunday he just wanted...

Brittany Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I just recently got a Brittany puppy about 3-4 days ago. He is 11 weeks old. He is going to be outside for most of the time but has a shed where his bed (crate) is and a fenced in area that's about 600sq. Ft to run around and play in. Now we played with him for most about the whole weekend...

View more questions Search