Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grifval10 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Continually rebooting router/Modem
    Hi, I do not have any experience in networking, and as I have a desk PC , my family also 2 laptops, I wanted to connect them thro a network, and as I have heard doing it wirelessly has so many advantages, I bought Netgear DG834N. I looked at the CD installation, bought a couple of networking books and with trial and error, and learning as I went along, I have the router connected and working with my desktop PC. I have not yet tried to connect the 2 laptops wirelesssly.

My problem is the router finds my internet connection and it is fast when it is connected, but after a short period it disconnects from the internet and the only way I can re-connect is to take out the power lead from the router, then connect the power again, and it finds the internet connection again for a short while. My PC tries to reconnect to my old broadband setting, but I have disconnected that modem as this Netgear router has an internal modem.

I have a wired connection to my PC with the ethernet cable and it connects calling itself Local Area Connection2, which I have no idea how to configure to reconnect when it goes down. Sorry this is a bit long-winded. I am so fed up pulling out power cables and then putting them back. How do I just get my connection back when it loses it? Many thanks if you can help me.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 9, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Try to disable the internal modem and use the old modem. This will determine if it's a Netgear issue or a ISP issue.

Apr 10, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Thanks for your suggestion, and I will try it. I did go to Netgear site and downloaded the latest firmware which seems to improve the problem no end. It only seems to disconnect now after a normal amount of time left unused, which it did before the router.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Did you inform your carrier about your getting this device? Carriers generally have to know about the MAC address of the broadband modem used. The Netgear device amy not be fully compatibable with your carrier or it may just need to be registered.

Apr 10, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Hi ScottGem,
    No I didn't inform them, I didn't know about that. Thanks.

Apr 10, 2007, 07:18 AM
    ScottGem,
    Could this be the problem that I cannot connect my laptop to the router wirelessly. I have tried it and made sure it has the same workgroup name, it connected fine the first time, even though it didn't share the broadband internet connection, it still connected to its own dial-up, but it was FAST. Since then it cannot see any Wireless Networks?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2007, 07:29 AM
    No that wouldn't affect the laptop's ability to connect to the network. What happens when you try to connect?

Apr 10, 2007, 07:39 AM
    I have my PC(XP Pro) connected to the router with Ethernet cable, and I am connected to the Internet. I switch on my laptop (XP Home) and it boots up, and just says there is no connection to Wireless Network, it needs to be switched on? In Network connections it says it is disconnected with a red cross. I search for Wireless networks in the area, and it says None, even though the router is only 4 feet away! I know it is something I probably haven't configured right, but what, it did work ONCE!

Apr 10, 2007, 12:27 PM
    You probably need to turn on the wireless radio on your laptop and/or enable wireless on the router.

Once that is done, your laptop should be able to find the router and connect automatically.

BUT, this is an unsecured connection. Anybody with a wireless enabled computer or laptop, can view and connect to your network.

To secure it, You will need to enable encryption and make/generate a network key for the router, and then use this key on all your wireless devices. Of course each wireless device, such as your laptop will need to be configured with the same settings as the router.

For example, at home, my settings are Shared, WEP, 128Bit encryption. Your router should have similar settings.

Apr 10, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Thanks for your help. How do I turn on the wireless radio in my laptop. I thought it would pick up a wireless network automatically as it is wireless enabled. I have tried but no go. I have secured my wireless network with a WEP key.

Apr 10, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Each laptop will probably be different. It may be as simple as a button on the keyboard, or perhaps some combination of keys. Consult your users manual.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

CABLE and Modem Router [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my buddys has a cable modem which she connects to the internet with, its got one USB and one ethernet port on the modem. Ive only seen t he modem through webcam so I couldn't play around, we were NOT able to connect 2 machines one through usb and the other through ethernet. The cable...

Rebooting [ 2 Answers ]

My computer is rebooting at will. How can I correct this and what is causing it.

Cannot send email using modem/router [ 5 Answers ]

Just set up D-Link modem/wireless router to desktop, Running XP. Can access internet OK. Use outlook express and ISP is tiscali. Can receive email OK. When trying to send I get the old dial up box asking me to connect, used to have tiscali modem. (which it can't as the settings are now set to...

Computer Keeps Rebooting [ 12 Answers ]

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post. I have an eMachines T3265. The computer is rebooting itself shortly after windows starts. I haven't installed any new software or hardware in a month and I have had no problems with the computer before today. I tried starting in last known good...

View more questions Search