Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbigdogl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
    I am in big trouble
    [F]ok ........im am a total dummy:o .........i havent filed my taxes for the last three years........i want to get it straightened out..............I havent a clue what to do or where to start......I figured this might be a good place......is there anyone that can stop laughing at me long enough to get me started in the right directions......or maybe someone that has made this same bonehead mistake................I would really appreciate any help received
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
    If I were you I would call the IRS @ 1-800-829-1040 and a representative should be able to help you figure out exactly what you need to do. You could probably do everything yourself-it just takes patience and time. I do my own taxes and they are always helpful for me.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Apr 8, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Do you have all of the w-2's, interest income, dividend income, etc, etc. that you need to file? If you do, you should file. You can go to the IRS web site and download the forms for past years to use. Internal Revenue Service. If not, then missk is right, you can call the IRS and they can send you a transcript of all income that was reported to them each year, and you can use that to file your returns with. You can get 2003, 2004 and 2005 transcripts from them now, but they probably will not be able to provide you with 2006 until late in the year or maybe even next year. So file an extension for 2006 if you don't have all of your information.
    If you didn't file for 2003, then you need to file that return right NOW because if you are due a refund, this is the last year that you can claim it. Otherwise, you forfeit it.
    Don't feel bad, a lot of people are what we call "batch filers" meaning that they file several years in a row. You are not alone.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 8, 2007, 06:20 AM
    And if you over paid [which I always do] there are no fines or penalties. -- Savage
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 11:04 AM
    BigDog:

First, I am not laughing. A tax year does not go by where I encounter at least one person in your same situation. A three-year backlog is not that bad. I once had a client with a 15-year backlog.

TheSavage has it right, though. If you overpaid on your taxes, you can file and get your refunds for 2004, 2005 and 2006. Unfortunately, if you also did not file for 2003, you have forfeited THAT refund, as you had to have filed by Saturday to claim the 2003 refund. The god news is that you will get paid INTEREST on the refund amount by the IRS and the states.

If you have the documents, go to any local tax professional. They can file the required returns for you no problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EX girlfriend big trouble tough decision [ 23 Answers ]

OK well I don't really know where to start so ill just get strait to the point Almost 2 years ago I met someone that would end up changing my life she was the most important thing that could have ever happened to me although we only went out for about a month in a half it was the best...

In a big, BIG hole. Have small shovel. [ 1 Answers ]

I was just served papers for a debt that I owe on a vehicle that was repo'ed. The vehicle, which was a 2005 Lotus Elise was purchased by myself and a company (the company did not have sufficient credit to purchase the car and I did not have the income to purchase the car, but together we were...

A big big big problem. [ 1 Answers ]

OK.. this one is weird. When I insert a cd in my cd-rom it reads it but it doesn't updates it. Not this is not a big problem but when I insert a writable cd and click on write these new files to this cd, I get the error that there is no cd in the cd-rom. Then I restart my operating system with the...

Get big [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best lifts to do if I want to get big and get cut up at the same time? I work out on a bowflex and do powerlifts with free weights>

View more questions Search