Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dei2007 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Hooking Up A Surround Sound
    Help! I just bought a big screen TV and need helping hooking my surround sound back up.I have an Hd cable box,dvd player,cd player and playstation to all be hooked up from my receiver.My receiver is a Sony STR-DE595.I don't know if I need the regualr a/v cables (red,white and yellow) or can I use the new style cables (blue,green and red).Can Someone email me a diagram or tell me step by step on how to hook this back up.Thanks for you help in advance.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 9, 2007, 09:23 AM
    New style cables (blue green and red) are called component video cables. These will give you the best picture (besides hdmi and dvi) and support HD 1080p resolutions.

If your receiver has digital inputs, these will give you full 5.1 dolby.

Red, white and Yellow RCA's are the lowest quality video (vhs quality) and only stereo sound.

All your devices will have component video outputs and digital audio outputs. For the playstation, if it's a PS2, you will need to buy an adapter to obtain component video and digital audio. A PS3 should have these already.

Your Sony receiver should have 2 component video inputs, and 1 component video output. Therefore you can only support 2 devices with HD quality picture. I suggest the HD cable box, and the playstation (if it's a PS3), otherwise the dvd player.

HD CABLE BOX:

Connect the video outputs to component video 1 on the receiver. Red to red, blue to blue and green to green.

Connect the HD cable box digital audio output to the corresponding digital input assigned to Component video 1. (Refer to the users manual for the default assignments).

PLAYSTATION 3 or DVD player:

Same connections as above, only use Component video 2 instead.

RECIEVER:

Connect the component video output to your TV, assuming your TV is a HD capable model, it will have component video inputs.

If not, S-video is your next best choice, then composite video (No HD with these connections :( ).
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Good stuff HVAC888. Some people are better with pictures.
    Try Welcome to Monster® and select Home Theatre Connction Guide.
    Good color, Very Visual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting hdtv, dvd, dishnetwork and surround sound [ 1 Answers ]

I'm sure this question has been posted before -- couldn't find just the right answer for us -- please forgive the duplication, if I have. In a nutshell, I'm trying to set up: RCA hdtv RCA 5.1 surround sound system Sanyo DVD Dish network service Local outside antenna Using RCA and coaxial...

Surround sound [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best surround sound for a good price I'm not looking for something that's thousand of dollars but that's in the 200 to 500 range?

Surround sound [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best wireless surround sound system for home use? I really do not want to run wires throughout the room for the speakers.

View more questions Search