Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Laurclus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2014, 07:50 AM
    What do I do if the proper amount of garnishment order is not being obeyed by the emp
    I have a garnishment order and it has not been obeyed properly. The company is not taking the proper amout off to be submitted to the sheriff office. I have been back to court and the employer is still not being held accountable. Is there anything more that I can do? Barely 5% is being submitted.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 15, 2014, 08:33 AM
    You went back to court asking the garnishee to show cause why it was not submitting the proper amount of money? What did the judge say?

Barely 5% is being submitted.
    You do understand that, pursuant to federal law, a certain amount (there is a formula) of a judgment debtor's pay is exempted from garnishment?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2014, 12:53 AM
    Are you sure, the wrong amount is being taken. Why did the court say or do, about the correct amount.

As noted, there is an exempt amount depending on state. Ask for an accounting.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2014, 04:34 AM
    And this also begs the question of why you don't just pay the extra amount to the creditor.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 16, 2014, 07:38 AM
    And this also begs the question of why you don't just pay the extra amount to the creditor
    Perhaps the same reason OP was sued in the first place: perhaps there is not enough money to go around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How will monthly payment amount for arrerages be determined if no court order [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I came to an agreement with child support and did not have to go before a judge. My attorney at the time never had the judge sign off on it and I find this out 6 years later when I went to DHS to enforce child support since he was not paying that I have no valid child support orders. Back...

Garnishment amount [ 1 Answers ]

If an amount to be garnished from my income tax is different when I file than what was reported by September which will be taken?

Does a garnishment court order expire? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently facing a garnishment of an Unpaid one semester tuition which now accrued a lot of interest. It has caused me to lose my job due to frequent call ins, lost my payment car,and I am unable to keep up with bills. Now I'm not working and I have no property. If I remain unemployed and...

What is the proper amount to give as a gift for a wedding? [ 5 Answers ]

This is me husband's boss... boss's son is getting married... they were already married in India for her family... I have never been introduced to his son or the new wife... so to me they are acquaintances... hubby is arguing with me... we have to give $1,000... it's the boss's son... personally I...

Can they make changes to the garnishment amount with out notification? [ 1 Answers ]

When I got hurt I got 1200 a month now I'm down to 538 I can't they are taking so much I'm not going to be able to see my kids

View more questions Search