Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cassie482 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2014, 06:53 AM
    False positive pregnancy test?!
    Please help!
    I've been on birth control for almost a year. I've never missed a day and I always take it at the same time.
    I let my boyfriend finish in me a couple times before my period a couple weeks ago and I had a medium flow period for a week just 4 days before I normally have it.
    All last week my body has been doing weird things. I almost threw up a couple times, have nausea and dizziness, and night I've been getting light shooting pains through my stomach and tingling nipples. I've also been having period like cramps and lack of energy. I took a one step pregnancy test the other morning just to see what it would say. It read negative for two min and then I put it back in the rapper and set it in the garbage and went back to bed for a couple hours.
    When I got back up I looked at it again out of curiosity and it read positive.
    I don't know if it turned positive during the time frame you're supposed to look at the test or if it's an evaporation line because I didn't watch it the whole time frame.
    I took the same test yesterday morning and it's still negative.
    Do you think I had a false positive? Did my birth control fail? Is pregnancy even possible in my situation?
    Someone please help me! I'm so curious and have no idea what is going on with my body! I plan on taking another test at the end of this week.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2014, 07:04 AM
    You are only supposed to read the test within the time window on the package, meaning not before, not later and certainly not hours later.

However with that said... no form of birth control is 100% effective. We have members here that have gotten pregnant while using 2 or three forms at the same time. Some more than once.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2014, 07:05 AM
    The tests are made to be read within a certain time frame. Usually up to ten minutes. Anything after that would be an inaccurate result.

To add... You need to wait until your period is late before testing. Testing too early will give you a false response.

Sep 8, 2014, 07:12 AM
    I don't know why I didn't wait to see if it changed in the time frame the directions said, I was just nervous. And took it to ease my mind. I know taking it to early will give you a false reading but I know of people who didn't know they were expecting because they thought they had their period.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2014, 07:17 AM
    I was one of those girls Smoothy mentioned. I used 2 or 3 forms of birth control and got pregnant not once, but twice. I was also rendered sterile due to chemotherapy 16 years ago. My youngest is now 12. Do the math.

You can't read the test past the timeframe on the directions, it will give you an evaporation line which will be a false positive. Again, if you haven't missed a period, you are testing too soon.

Sep 8, 2014, 07:31 AM
    I've been having abnormal symptoms all week. I actually feel the way I do right before I start my period. My boobs are even sore..
    Do you think it could just be a side affect from my birth control?
    Sense I've been on it I get all my pms symptoms two weeks before my actual period and it's only been a week sense I've been off it.
    I'm just so confused.. maybe it's time to visit my Dr and see what else could be going on.
    I just wanted to see what people on here had to say first, so thank you (:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2014, 08:43 PM
    Normally you want to wait, till you are at least two week late, to start doing any testing. These can be signs of many things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

False Positive Pregnancy Test [ 7 Answers ]

I was wanting some sympathy I went to the doctor last Thursdayto have some blood work done since I had not started my period. They took a urine pregnancy test & there WAS a really faint line - which suggested that I was pregnant. I was SOOOOO excited! I was really surprised because I didn't really...

How likely is it that I got a false positive on pregnancy test? [ 2 Answers ]

I had my tubes tied may 10 2010.I had my period this month but it only lasted 2 days,which is not norma,and I've been getting these flutters in my lowewr abdomen.so I decided to take a pregnancy test just to see.I bought a box of 2 ept digital readout tests and the first was negative.well about 4...

Are two false positive pregnancy test results possible? [ 3 Answers ]

On Monday night, I took two First Response pregnancy tests. Within about a minute each time both lines showed up. Each of them were distinct, but they were both fairly faint. I went to a pregnancy center on Thursday, and took another urine test, but this one was negative. Now, on Friday, I...

Possibility of a false positive pregnancy test [ 2 Answers ]

My last period ended on the 4th of June. All of last week I've had brown spotting, and just recently its started to appear redish. Mid last week I did a pregnancy test and it was possitive. Could there be a possibility the outcome of the pregnancy test was wrong?

False positive pregnancy test? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm on cd/31---33 day cycle, this morn I woke up at 2am and did a pregnancy test it was pos, a faint line, so just to check again I decided to do it again at 7am and it was negative! I'm so confused, help xx

View more questions Search