Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mccarlk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 01:32 AM
    Landlord will not return prepaid rent in CA
    I relocated to CA and signed a lease from out-of-state. The lease ran six-months and then automatically converted to month-to-month. On Feb 7, my landlord gave notice that rent would increase effective Mar 7. We elected to move out and gave notice (the only condition the lease specified for notice was 30 days notice). I have several emails documenting our agreement we would move out and the lease would end Mar 7. When we moved in, we paid security deposit, nonrefundable pet deposit, and 1/2 the last months rent. After we moved out, the landlord returned only the security deposit and a note saying "thanks for being keeping it so clean" but did not return the 8 days of unused rent. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Doesn't the landlord owe me the prorated portion of the last 1/2 month for the 8 unused days? The landlord is making some bizarre argument about the lease not being day-to-day and my option was to stay until the 15th or forfeit the remaining balance (which must not apply to him since he raised the rent on the 7th).

2. Is the nonrefundable pet deposit legal? My reading of CA 1950.5 makes it sound like no portion of the deposit can be "non-refundable". I agreed to this provision when I moved in and it was legal in the state I moved from (NJ), but if this is going to end up in small claims I feel like I should go after this amount as well.

Thanks,
    KM
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 7, 2007, 05:05 AM
    When was the original lease effective? When was rent due? When did you give notice? When did you actually move out? How much do you think you are due?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord trying to re-rent at higher price [ 8 Answers ]

We are currently trying to get out of our lease in WA. Our landlord told us that she will try to re-rent it but till then we are fully liable. I am fine with that but the landlord now tries to re-rent the unit for a lot more than we pay. We rented it 4 months ago for $1300 and she now...

Landlord refuse to return Security depost as there was no 30 days notice [ 3 Answers ]

I used to live in Apartment complex for 4 years in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. I have never had any problems till I left the apartment. I agve them the 30 day written notice to the management and cleaned the apartment the best I can. I left on Oct. 31, 2006. I also left my forwarding address with...

Paying less rent for unfulfilled landlord agreements [ 1 Answers ]

At the beginning of our lease when we decided to move into our condo, my boyfriend and I went to look at the place. We really liked it but wanted some things done and offered to pay more rent to have these things done before we moved in. the original rent was 800 a month. We offered to pay 840 to...

Landlord won't return deposit [ 7 Answers ]

I moved out of my apartment on9/1. My deposit was supposed to be to me 21 days later. The land lord never said that there was a problem, never gave me list of repairs or cost for cleaning. The apartment was left spotless, I even painted the entire thing, had the rugs professionally cleaned etc. I...

Thread for CaptainForest re Prepaid Rent [ 1 Answers ]

You're clearly the most learned and/or the most helpful poster on these boards... I became a member to ask you this simple question regarding adjustments: Company X has rented its showroom and office space from Z at 7,000 per month for the last 3 years. The rent for January, 2007, was paid in...

View more questions Search