Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Planters Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2014, 11:10 PM
    Insulate or not?
    Should a exterior basement bathroom wall be insulated and have vapor barrier?(shower is on this wall)
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2014, 11:02 AM
    A simple answer is yes. All exterior walls should be insulated.

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 24, 2014, 01:53 PM
    Agreed but the insulation is a bit tricky in your application. Normally the barrier goes directly under the drywall. In your outside wall the vapor barrier is on the basememt cement wall, then the insulations and finish surface. Do not use drywall or even greenboard. Cement board is good and use of a membrane like Shop Schluter Systems 3-ft 3-in x 16-ft -5-in Waterproofing Membrane at Lowes.com is a best practice
    Planters Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2014, 02:19 PM
    Thanks that's what I'll do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to insulate french doors [ 8 Answers ]

We have six sets of french doors around part of the first floor of our house. They are single pane glass. When it gets cold (like now!), this place stays colder than it should. Are there storm doors made for french doors (72 x 81).

What is the best way to insulate the cathedral ceiling from the outside [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of replacing my shingle roof . The house was originally built with no insulation at the cathedral ceiling. I have damaged plywood that will need replacing so I was planning on pulling all the sheathing off installing some insulation than replacing with new. I've already...

Insulate outside room [ 4 Answers ]

hi... I have a outside room additiom 12x12 insulated walls and ceiling... 2x8 floor jouises no walls around the bottom... its like built on just the corners... so under the floor is all open to the air... if I insulate with 8 inches of fiberglass... ...

How do insulate [ 6 Answers ]

The previous owner build an addition to the house and build basement under old portion of the house only, so on the bottom of the old portion he left empty space. So it's like empty space between floor and the fundament. There is no supporting beams and the floor is allways called. How can I...

View more questions Search