Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2014, 06:12 PM
    Is it a bad idea to go back to an ex?
    My ex boyfriend contacted me and Facebook and we talked. I have not seen him in 2 years. We both are unsure if we want to be together. I sort of miss him and I met up with him and we had a great time. I have mixed feelings about this and we thought to take things slow to decide if this can work.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Aug 6, 2014, 06:41 PM
    Why did you break up and have those issues been resolved? Ex is an ex for reason.
    How old are you two?

Aug 6, 2014, 07:02 PM
    I was 23 and he was 24 or 25. He broke up with me because he admitted that he started to have strong feelings for me and that he didn't know if I felt the same about him. Also because I was a virgin so he was scared that he admitted that he cheated. Time will tell if he has changed it appears that he has but I am not sure.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2014, 07:13 PM
    I believe its always a bad idea to waste time rehashing what didn't work before.

If it was right with him before there wouldn't have been a breakup... Ive never seen a case where someone did this that it worked in the long term... which means it was time wasted when you could be looking for someone it would work with.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Aug 7, 2014, 04:48 AM
    I'd leave it be. Don't let old feelings lure you back to the same bad place. He could be between girl friends, wondering if you're still a virgin. He did cheat on you didn't he? Sometimes it's best to leave the past in the past.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 7, 2014, 05:25 AM
    You are now 25, and he's around 27 or so. Maturity has probably set in a bit, for both of you.

If you decide to go forward with him, your arrangement of going slow, is the way to go.

Learn all you can about the past two years that you have not seen each other. Really listen to what he says. When he talks about relationships after you, see if he seems to have gone through a lot of women in the past two years. He may blame them for breakups, or admit things like the last girlfriend he had, did nothing but argue, find fault with him, broke up a bunch of times, etc.

If he has not matured in any other relationship he has had, it isn't likely he is mature enough to start another one with you.

Then again, he may have learned a great deal about himself, and the mistakes he's made, and he could be very honest about it. But, if he's not showing remorse, or insight to mistakes along the way (that we all make), he is likely in the same emotional place he was with you before.

Which would be not much improvement, and then you'd have your answer.

Be subtle about it, and learn all you can about him. Him wanting a relationship with you is only the title of the book. See what type of book it's going to be with you, starting with the chapters on who this man really is, where he's been, how he lives his life.

Guessing whether this relationship will work again, is putting too much faith in a man you already knew.
    anushkapatel Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2014, 10:04 AM
    I think you both are now mature enough to take decisions. He contacted you which means he misses you and you also admit that you miss him. Now that you both are in contact with each other just take it easy. You all can chat and send messages to each other and talk about all the good things that you all did when you were in a relationship and then check whether you were really happy with him. As you become good friends again just question yourself and also him what actually went wrong between the 2 of you.
    I agree he cheated, there are partners who cheat but then everybody is not perfect and he confessed it to you, that was good. It shows that he is honest.
    Once you become good friends again, plan to meet. Check the way he is behaving. He should be decent and make you feel comfortable. Obviously you should do the same. Let things go slowly and easily. Remember if you need to take extra efforts then you should but not at the cost of losing your self respect.
    And yes, let him know the things which you liked about him in the past and which you didn't like about him and ask him the same because if you both have a future together you all will know as you will be together after a long break.
    And if you are not comfortable with him tell him clearly and move on and get a life.

Aug 24, 2014, 06:26 PM
    Sorry for the late reply thank you so much for the answers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Using a blog to vent a good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Suggestions? [ 13 Answers ]

If you've seen my other question, then you know I've had some drama lately.. Well concerning that post I will say, things settled out. Well.. more of, she read my journal that morning while I took my regents test and found out that I thought I liked her. Today, we discussed that. She doesn't...

Good idea o bad idea [ 3 Answers ]

I am going down to near my ex girlfriend lives in a few weeks. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to tell her and see if she wants to hangout as friends or something. I haven't talked to her since we broke up in march, and things between us started so fast and then ended even quicker. Here...

Is it a good idea or a bad idea. [ 9 Answers ]

My daughter is 5. and she has developed this habit of getting up in the mornings at 3am and getting into things in the fridge and cupboards for late night snacks. I have tried fridge locks and cupboard locks, but she is just too darn smart and figures them all out! My question is, would it be...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search