Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Judd80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2014, 09:01 AM
    Debt Summons
    Yesterday I was served via USPS for a debt with Susquehanna Bank here in Pennsylvania. The debt is for an auto loan which I defaulted on. A few months after the default (repo), they contacted me to make payment arrangements based off the $12,XXX which was left over from what they got at an auction for the car. I agreed to make payments of $100 per month. Unfortunately I was only able to do so for a few months (3-4) as I lost my job and went to work for another employer making less money.

What should I do? The court date is scheduled for the end of August. Can I still call the originally creditor and see if they will settle for .30 on the dollar? I don't think Susquehanna sold the debt because on the summons it shows them versus me. Granted we don't have that money, but if they would agree, we could just get a small loan to cover it. I really want to avoid having my wages garnished. I am a National Guard member and will be deploying at the end of September. A garnishment "could" put a hardship on my Family while I am away.

The creditor is asking for $11,837.97 + court fees from what I see.
    Fees are $158.50 for filing costs and $11.00 for postage.

If I could still offer an amount to settle the debt I'd like to. Perhaps $5,000.00? I only have this one gig on my credit and my Wife has perfect credit, so I am sure we could get a small loan if need be.

Please give me any and all advice that you can.

I appreciate it!!
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2014, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd80 View Post
    Yesterday I was served via USPS for a debt with Susquehanna Bank here in Pennsylvania. The debt is for an auto loan which I defaulted on. A few months after the default (repo), they contacted me to make payment arrangements based off the $12,XXX which was left over from what they got at an auction for the car. I agreed to make payments of $100 per month. Unfortunately I was only able to do so for a few months (3-4) as I lost my job and went to work for another employer making less money.

What should I do? The court date is scheduled for the end of August. Can I still call the originally creditor and see if they will settle for .30 on the dollar? I don't think Susquehanna sold the debt because on the summons it shows them versus me. Granted we don't have that money, but if they would agree, we could just get a small loan to cover it. I really want to avoid having my wages garnished. I am a National Guard member and will be deploying at the end of September. A garnishment "could" put a hardship on my Family while I am away.

The creditor is asking for $11,837.97 + court fees from what I see.
    Fees are $158.50 for filing costs and $11.00 for postage.

If I could still offer an amount to settle the debt I'd like to. Perhaps $5,000.00? I only have this one gig on my credit and my Wife has perfect credit, so I am sure we could get a small loan if need be. They really don't HAVE to settle for less than everything. But the closer you get the more likey they might be to take it. Because they can easily have your wages garnished as well as garnish any money you have in a bank.

Please give me any and all advice that you can.

I appreciate it!!
    Plan on showing up for court. You can always try asking before then but you don't really have any control... they have all of it so they can always tell you no if its not enough to satisfy them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 27, 2014, 12:50 PM
    You really think you can get a loan with a repo on your record? You can try negotiating but since they extended a settlement once and you reneged on that, I doubt if they will agree. At the very least, they will probably get a judgment against you even if they do offer a settlement as back up if you renege again.

So I agree with smoothy that you should plan on showing up in court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do about a debt collector summons with insufficient validation of debt? [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old debt ( 2004-2005) that I am being sued for by an attorney hired by the debt collection agency. I sent my validation of debt letter first thing ( before any summons was sent to me). I received a letter on the attorney letterhead putling my debt and a few computer print outs. I sent...

Summons of debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are business in California who has a debt to a company in New Jersey. They have a hired a lawyer to collect their debt from us. The lawyer is using a pay or go to court in New Jersey tactic. Can they summons me to a court in New Jersey if we are in California? The debt is about...

Debt Summons [ 35 Answers ]

I recently received a summons for a credit debt. I have 20 days to respond. My question is how do I respond? I do not know where to begin. I was looking at Mr.Yet's sticky on notice of intend to defend but is that what I need? Other problems are I do not remember how long ago this debt was put...

Summons for 10 yr old c.c. Debt [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a summons for (2) credit cards that were charged off in 1998. The total is approx. $3200 and there was no activity on either account for 7 yrs. In 2006 my wife, unknowingly started to make payments on a collection notice sent to us from Asset Acceptance. They had called and...

Summons for Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have received a summons (the law office taped to my door this morning) in response to a debt from when I was in college from Chase Manhatten Bank. The origonal amount I owed was around $1500 but this was years ago and I've moved several times so now it's @ $3500. The law firm had been calling my...

View more questions Search