Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrfarris Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2014, 08:57 AM
    4 year old is sick
    My daughter has had a cold with coughing for a couple of days. Today I noticed rapid breathing and increase in heartrate. Is it possibly more than a cold?
    lrfarris Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2014, 09:00 AM
    vital signs for a 4 yr old
    What are the normal vital signs for a 4 year old?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 09:15 AM
    We can't diagnose online...and normal vital signs for a 4 year old? What?

She needs a doctor, if not the ER. When it comes to a child, why take chances?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 10:19 AM
    Can you phone your pediatrician for an emergency appointment? If not, do you have an urgent care or hospital close by? I'd take my child for help now rather than spending time on the Internet.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2014, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lrfarris View Post
    What are the normal vital signs for a 4 year old?
    Keep in mind that her heart rate and respiratory rate will naturally be faster than yours to start with and likely also faster simply due to being ill or a fever.

For a child her age:
    heart rate average: 80-120
    respiratory rate: 25-30 breaths per minute

If you feel that she is having trouble breathing, or that her rates are considerably higher, then contact her doctor or visit a walk-in clinic or ER if you are unsure.

How is she acting? Does she still want to eat, play a little, generally her usual self or is she lethargic, no appetite, and looks unwell? Let those guide you as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sick 2 year old [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 year old daughter had a decreased apatite starting 3 days ago. Yesterday she started running a 102 fever, broke out in a rash on her chest and stomached, wouldn't eat and saying her mouth hurts. Last night I looked into her mouth and all gums, top and bottom are deep red and swollen, she won't...

Sick 2 year old [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 year old has white spots on his throat a high fever and vomiting. We took him in on Sunday they tested for strep it was negative however he is still sick with all of the symptoms. Should we take him back in?

Sick 3 year old [ 1 Answers ]

My three year old began running fever last night. She is resting good, drinking lots and having normal stools. I have give her Tylenol every four hours. Could she still be cutting teeth or could it be a summer cold that needs to run its course?

Sick 7 year old [ 1 Answers ]

My 7 year old daughter has had green stools for over 4 days, she now complaining of abdominal pain and nausea.

2 year old dog is sick [ 1 Answers ]

My plott hound/lab has the following symptoms: Constant swallowing Slightly enlarged heart Fever High white blood count Heart murmer Light vomiting, white/pink foamy fluid She eats good, but does not have her usual energy

View more questions Search