Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emc5888 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2014, 01:36 AM
    Electrical voltage readings
    At recepticles and switches... put meter to check voltage... meter reads 134. On a 110 circuit why?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 26, 2014, 08:46 AM
    Give us some help here, please.

Where are you located? If you are in the U.S.A. you should see 120 Vac (+/-) 10%.

So a voltage level of 134 Vac, while a tad high is not a big deal to worry about. Are you using a properly set up analog meter or a digital meter?

How are you getting the test readings?
    emc5888 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2014, 11:10 AM
    I am getting the readings across these two points; positive to common, Positive to ground, Positive to box (metal boxes). At one time a reading came at 154. Should I be concerned about the federal pacific panel?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 26, 2014, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emc5888 View Post
    At recepticles and switches... put meter to check voltage... meter reads 134. On a 110 circuit why?
    Because it is not a "110" circuit. Nominal voltage is 120V. Like Don said, 134 is a bit high, but nothing to worry about.

I am getting the readings across these two points; positive to common, Positive to ground, Positive to box (metal boxes).
    In AC wiring there is no such thing as positive and negative. There is hot, neutral and ground.

Should I be concerned about the federal pacific panel?
    Yes, but that has nothing to do with the voltage readings.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 26, 2014, 12:27 PM
    You might want to check with your power company to see if they can explain the voltage swings or at the very least get someone on site to take accurate voltage reading of the input voltages levels from the power company.

An FPE panelboard does not have an effect on the incoming voltages.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jul 26, 2014, 09:22 PM
    First of all make sure your meter isn't the problem. If you aren't reading RMS voltage, it will be different. You should be, but until you clear that up it is hard to tell. A Federal Pacific Panel was UL approved, but experience in the business for over 40 years, I have seen a lot of failures, particularly at the connection point where the stab on the breaker connects to the buss. The panel won't cause the voltage issues you are experiencing, and Most utilities regulate their voltage to closer to 110, 120 vac and some places a little higher. Sometimes you see spikes in voltage during the period of a day when a lot of air conditioning and industrial loads are the greatest. Sometimes the power company will temporarily raise the voltage to compensate for huge loads, and when those loads are shut down, the voltage goes up until they can compensate for the load change. Even at that, 150 volts ac is what I would call abnormal if taken with a good meter. If you have a meter that is reading peak voltage instead of RMS voltage, you will see a higher number. Peak to Peak voltage is 1.414 x RMS voltage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Half Voltage on 120V Electrical Outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem similar to this one. I recently moved into an existing house that's had many add-ons, remodels, etc. done over the years. The outdoor light that's over my back deck doesn't work; I opened it up (and completely disconnected the existing fixture) to check the voltage. There are...

Electrical outlet wires have no voltage going to it [ 4 Answers ]

The electrical outlet had no voltage going to it. I opened it up and removed the wires from the outlet, and then put a voltage meter across the outlet wires. No voltage. The circuit breaker was on so I am puzzled. How do I check to make sure that the circuit breaker is not defective. The outlet is...

Electrical voltage [ 1 Answers ]

Why would an enduced over voltage occur and what damage may occur if this happened while working on an unprotected computer

Weird voltage readings. [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to help a friend of mine with an electrical issue and I am not able to. He has a sun room that has a dedicated 15 amp circuit running to it but lost power in the sun room for the outlets and ceiling fan and outside light. I have tested the breaker and its getting 120V to neutral and...

Half Voltage on 120V Electrical Outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting only half voltage at a 120v electrical outlet. The outlet is on a GFI circuit, but the other outlets on that circuit are fine. I have tripped and reset the GFCI. It tripped and reset fine, but had no effect on the outlet in question. I have removed the receptacle and checked the...

View more questions Search