Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yellow_star Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2005, 08:30 PM
    Buying which computer
    Hi,
    I need a PC suitable to my study.There are subjects such as data structure,operation system,windows programming,artificial intelligence,etc.Cost is from $450 to $600.How should I choose components of my new computer?256MB or just 128MB Ram?DDRam or SDRam?Which CPU processor(how much GHz)?And which kind of HDD and mainboard?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2005, 05:15 AM
    Well before we comment, can you give us a better idea of what you will be using the computer for? For example, a PC that will be used just to write documents and surf the web won't need to be as powerful as a PC for say video editing, programming etc.

Also do you have a limit to how much you are going to spend?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2005, 06:50 AM
    Buy computer
    Hi, yellow star,
    First, I wish you the best on your new position with the IT dept.
    Practically any new computer will probably suit your needs; the amount of money you have to spend on one will be the deciding factor.
    When you know how much you can spend, then call a reputable company, such as Dell, Gateway, etc, and ask them what you can get for say, $600 or whatever.
    New computers now, are very fast with everything you need. You can always add more software as you need it.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2005, 07:54 AM
    Hi Yellowstar
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "I want to take up IT department". Can you explain that better. I also agree with LT that it would be helpful to know what want to use the computer for for us to advise. Computers are not one size fits all as indicated. Specific uses and budget can dictate what you get.

I will say that right now the best processor In my opinion is the AMD 64. It's the only consumer 64 bit processor currently available.When I needed to replace my PC late last year, I would only consider an AMD 64 based machine.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2005, 08:46 AM
    Processor
    Hello again,
    I agree than the AMD 64 is a very good processor. Stay away from the Cyrix family of processors!
    Here is a link from eopinion explaining different processors from light use on up to heavy use.

http://www.epinions.com/cmd-review-1...A8CBF-products

Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2005, 11:34 AM
    CYRIX??

I haven't seen a Cyrix based Windows machine in FIVE years? The last version of Cyrix processors was the 6x86 which was comparable to a Pentium MMX or Pentium II processor.

Maybe you should read what you link to before you do it.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Feb 24, 2005, 11:43 AM
    Sorry fred but the following is all I got from your "dead" link!

"Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

Epinions is a comparison shopping Web site with reviews and prices on more than 3,000,000 items.

If you're having trouble locating a destination on Epinions, please try visiting the Epinions home page or look through a list of Epinions categories. You may also find what you're looking for by searching using the search box below."

Murray
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2005, 12:45 PM
    You could try and hp pavilion notebook. Since you can get a right nice sized hard drive and ram, or dell. Both are good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help - buying a snowboard... [ 1 Answers ]

I want to buy a snowboard and want to know what size should I get. I am 6.1" I am tired of paying 40+ bucks for the rental... Or is it my personal preference? Thanks :)

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Buying a computer! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys! Please recommend some Laptops or PC's for me. The Specifications are... * More Than 256MB of Ram * 3D Graphics Card (or the comp musty be able to get one put in) * 1000Mhz * More than 2.5Ghz * Total Price Thanks! Conrad

Help with buying a computer [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys! Please recommend some Laptops or PC's for me. The Specifications are... * More Than 256MB of Ram * 3D Graphics Card (or the comp musty be able to get one put in) * 1000Mhz * More than 2.5Ghz * Total Price Thanks! Conrad

View more questions Search