Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eschmitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2014, 10:33 AM
    Giving milk to infant under 1 year of age (9.5 months)?
    Can I give my 9.5 month old 1% milk (cows milk)?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2014, 10:53 AM
    Hi eschmitz,

The current recommendation is to wait until at least a year old, if not longer, as the nutrients from formula or breastmilk are better absorbed. Certainly some parents will start on cows milk sooner, and some prefer to skip cows milk and use goat's milk as a first transition, or even staying with it long term. Sometimes milk will be used in the preparation of some solids as an initial introduction, such as cereals.

One important consideration is that many babies are not eating a variety of solids just let, so their main source of nutrition will still be the formula or breastmilk. Even after a year, which is the traditional time to switch, if they aren't eating a wide variety of solids, formula or breastmilk will continue to be a better alternative.

The only reason milk is given the okay at a year is because most babies will have a mature enough digestive system to break it down by that time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breast producing milk after year and a half of giving birth never breast feed. [ 1 Answers ]

While I was pregnant I went to doctors about a lump in my right breast he said it was calcium build up. I'm just wondering if this could have anything to do with whatever it is that squirts from my nipples when pressed. I never breast feed but I did have a hard and long labour of 42 hours first...

What do you do if an infant consumes milk and is allergic [ 2 Answers ]

If a bottle of milk has fallen on the floor and an infant who has a milk allergy consumes the milk?

Till what age can an infant watch their parents having sex [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter will become 2 years old in the coming march. She is sleeping with us in the same bed from the day she was born.I tried to put her in the Crib many times, but she will cry and atlast she will be with us. We don't have anyone to babysit for us, so she will always be with us whatever we...

Visitation of infant under age of 1 year [ 2 Answers ]

What is the law regarding visitation of a noncustodial father of child 4 months of age?

3 months pregnant and I've got milk! [ 4 Answers ]

I'm taking reglan for my morning sickness and I suspect this is why it's happening so soon. Anytime my nipples touch my bra or even a loose t-shirt... the milk comes out. By the way, I never knew breast milk looked like soy milk:) Anyone else experience this?

View more questions Search