Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truong81 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Early lease termination
    The lease for my townhouse was for 1 year. The tenant has decided she wants to move out and break her lease agreement (with 6months to go). She gave me the 30 days noticed ( on March 5 along with the rent check for March that bounced). I am suppose to meet with her tomorrow to do an ‘exit walk’ however, I have a feeling she will not show up. In that case, will I be able to take back the house?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Only if she has vacated/abandoned the property. I may be cynical but I think she's a rabbit. You'll have a heck of a time tracking her down and collecting the lost rent and ad expense she should owe you. By the way, the 30 day notice is smoke, it applies to month-to-month renters, not a one year lease. Did you get your keyes? Chasnge the locks in any case, I have several spare locksets and I just recycle them when a tenant leaves.
    truong81 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 07:08 PM
    She said she has already moved out and I went by the townhouse last week and peeked into the window and all the stuff is gone. I do have a set of keys. I'm not sure if I should go to court and get some sort of judge order before going into the house myself.

So, I was under the impression that if both parties agree to the termination then it is valid even if it was a year lease or month to month?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 07:49 PM
    If she gave "notice" and her things are gone you can take possessoin and try to rent it out, she will be liable to pay the rent till you re-rent it.

After you have it rented and know all of her debts, then you can go to court and get a judgement against her for what she owes
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by truong81
    So, I was under the impression that if both parties agree to the termination then it is valid even if it was a year lease or month to month?
    Hello truong:

You got GOOD answers. So, I'm going to take a different tact.

I suggest that running a business on your "impressions" isn't a good idea. A better idea would be to learn the rules. You wouldn't play poker without knowing the rules, would you?

excon

PS> You can read the rules for your state at the top of this forum in a "sticky" note created by our great moderator, Rick.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Well yes, if you want to give up all your rights and money that she owes you, that is your right, and you can let her out of her lease if you want to, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a lease. A lease is to protect your rights, if you are just going to let them move out with a 30 day notice, just rent month to month, that way you have better rights to get rid of them if you want to.

I can't understand esp after getting a bad check you would want to be out your rent until you rent it again, But that is your right
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Yes, your impression is correct, both p[artoies can agree to vacate the lease. excon abd Fr-Chuck are right. If you stay in the leasing business you need to learn the law. Legally she owe you any lost rent until you re-rent plus advertising or any other expense involved to re-renting plus the $500 bounced check. To be honest, I'd file a police complaint, hanging paper is illegal and you need a record of it in case you go to court later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early Termination On Lease [ 5 Answers ]

About two weeks ago, my landlord said he would allow me to vacate my apartment early due to my several "displeasures with my experience" and has an interested party who wanted to see the apartment . My displeasures would include 13 days without heat, being incorrectly over charged for utilities,...

Termination of Lease [ 2 Answers ]

I currently live in an apartment building in which at the time of signing my lease it stated that individuals were not allowed to have pets. Now I am terrified of dogs and yesterday I was almost attacked by a dog and the owner lives in the builiding. Besides that, there is CONSTANT noise above my...

Early Lease termination [ 1 Answers ]

We misread our lease, we thought we only had to give a 30 day notice. We actually gave a 45 day notice. ( we purchased a home) However, our property management company said we are liable for the rent until they find a new tenant. Which we completely understand. My issue is that in the last 20...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

Early lease termination for layoff IOWA [ 2 Answers ]

I hear a tenant can get out of a lease early if he or she gets laid off from their job. Again, the lease is in Iowa and I am a union boilermaker that works in many states throughout the country. Any insight would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks Doug

View more questions Search