Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelodyWilkins3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2014, 07:14 AM
    My husband wants to adopt my Children, How do I go about it?
    My husband wants to adopt my three children , All of which I have full soul custody of . My oldest two are from a marriage , where Father lost visit's after violently attack our 3yr old in 2010, since then no child support nor any face time for my daughters with him. My youngest son Bio father refuses to have a single thing to do with him, meet him once when doing a paternity test when my son was 2 weeks old, He is also not on my son's birth certificate , my son is now 3 . I am unsure how we can go about all of this giving a few details. I have spoken with some case workers in the past and was informed with my daughters the processes would be easy considering lack of enteraction with the bio and the fact legally for another 5 years he can not be within 1000ft of any minor. HOWEVER my son Bio father will not sign any paper work or show up in court given the fact he has a warrant out for his arrest and is facing 20yr in prison if arrested at this time. My husband is the only father my son has ever known and loves all three of "OUR" children as his own , he provides for them as any father would, attend's all school funcitions and school meetings, He even coachs them track & field, wakes up and makes breakfast 3 times a week for kids before heading off to work. My husband has a clean recorded, a HIGH position in our county and is the most wonderful man . I do not want to start the adoption process unless we can do all three children at once to save time and money. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do, look forward to seeing and the chances of my husband getting to actually adopt our son?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2014, 08:55 AM
    I'd start with finding a lawyer well versed in adoption law. The situation with the biological father complicates it somewhat... but not nearly as much as a biofather with a clean background that is refusing would.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2014, 10:07 AM
    I would not recommend trying an adoption without an attorney. The fact is that any adoption court will require that a good faith attempt be made to get the permission of the father for an adoption. In the case of your son, there may be further proof required of who the father is. But given the circumstances, there should be no problem in getting a court to grant the adoptions, even without the permission of the fathers, as long as the legal forms are processed correctly. And that's where an attorney comes in. To make sure everything is done properly.

So my recommendation is shop around for a local Family Law attorney to assist in processing the adoption and go ahead with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex husband passed away. Can my new husband adopt my children? [ 4 Answers ]

I was married to my ex husband he sadly passed away. I remarried and my children call him dad. Can my new husband adopt? My 3 children adore him and has asked for this. My eldest is eight , then my six year old, then my 4 year old. They all want the same name as me, and my husband.

How can my new Husband adopt my children? [ 1 Answers ]

I am engaged to be married to my high school sweetheart, a man I have been best friends with and have known for over 15 years. We have been living together for 3 years now and he has become the REAL father to all four of my children. I was in a VERY abusive relationship for 7 years with my...

My children's mother let her new husband adopt my children without my consent [ 4 Answers ]

I have not seen my children for almost 4 years. My ex girlfriend and I had 2 kids together and things didn't work out. We decided to go our separate ways and that it was best for the children but promised I would still see them. She allowed me to see them every now until one day she told me she was...

Can my husband adopt my children they are 18 and 16 [ 2 Answers ]

I have been with my husband for 14 years married 8 years I have 2 children to different fathers who are unknown on the birth curtifacate they are 18 and 16 and have never seen their biological fathers as both left me when I was 3 month pregnant we would like to know if my husband can adopt them as...

My husband wants to adopt my 4 children. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 4 children by men who haven't played any type of role in my kids life, I want to have them sign over their rights and I would like to know how do or where do I start.

View more questions Search