Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    proselegaldoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2014, 05:24 PM
    Do I Motion for a rehearing, or a Motion to Vacate an Order to Dismiss?
    Received an Order to Dismiss. Motion was put in three days ago. Have not had time to respond to Motion to Dismiss/Stike yet... (dual motion?) No hearing was asked for from defense, and no hearing was scheduled. Judge signed the Order.

Do I motion for a rehearing, even though there was never an initial hearing, or an Order to Vacate the Order to Dismiss? (In Florida)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2014, 06:53 PM
    You use the term, defense ? But this is under family law? There is no defense and prosecutor in family court. Unless it is action by the state, which case, you would be the defense.

But it is obvious they must have an attorney or at least paralegal... a note.. of advice. If they do, get an attorney. If the other party has an attorney, they will keep filing motion, after motion, till you mess up.. that is the plan.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2014, 06:53 PM
    Dismiss what? What is the case? We need more details, including your general locale.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 29, 2014, 09:02 PM
    Judge signed the Order.
    Since the judge signed the Order it is final. There is no more filing of Motions. The Order is final and complete. You may, though, have the option to file an Appeal. However, you don't give any indication as to what this is regarding. The question was asked under Family Law, was this regarding divorce? Child support? Custody? Adoption?

You also do not mention if you are the Plaintiff or the Defendant. To clear things up.... the defense would be the defendant, the one who was originally served upon. Defendants are in every legal court case, not just criminal.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 04:07 AM
    Since the judge signed the Order it is final. There is no more filing of Motions. ....
    Incorrect. In Florida, OP has a very short window of opportunity (3 days I think) in which to file a motion for rehearing.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 06:06 AM
    "Rule 1.530. Motions for New Trial and Rehearing; Amendments of Judgments

(a) Jury and Non-Jury Actions. A new trial may be granted to all or any of the parties and on all or a part of the issues. On a motion for a rehearing of matters heard without a jury, including summary judgments, the court may open the judgment if one has been entered, take additional testimony, and enter a new judgment.

(b) Time for Motion. A motion for new trial or for rehearing shall be served not later than 15 days after the return of the verdict in a jury action or the date of filing of the judgment in a non-jury action. A timely motion may be amended to state new grounds in the discretion of the court at any time before the motion is determined.
    ..."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion to dismiss child support order in Florida [ 5 Answers ]

My ex was served child support paperwork in mid July for our child who is currently a senior in high school. At the time of the divorce, he had a minimum wage job and I did not request child support in the divorce papers because in a moment of weakness I didn't want added financial burden on him...

I'm filing a motion to dismiss a temporary custody order [ 6 Answers ]

I was granted primary custody. I gave the other party 30 day notice that me and our son were relocating out of state cause I got married. I week before I was to move he filed a motion to stop me from moving. I still moved in the notice I said he could have our son for the summer. He filed another...

Motion to dismiss mothers motion for modification of child support [ 4 Answers ]

I filed a motion pro se, to modify child support based on a few issues.One is his attorney did the child support guidelines sheet and added to my income and subtracted from his on the same line. 2) he didn't include bartering I recently found out about and can prove 3) I was never provided with his...

Motion of rehearing or motion to set aside a veredict [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody Im from Buenos Aires Argentina but Ive a game in Miami Court, therfore I would like to know after a final Judgement could I make a Motion of rehearing in order to set aside the veredict? How can I do it can someone help me just because I may need to find jurisprudence of old cases....

Should I use order to show cause or motion to vacate [ 5 Answers ]

I have a default judgment for credit card debt, and would like to dispute it. What is the best way to do so? I can either do a motion to vacate or an order to show cause. My question is - if the motion to vacate is denied, can I still do an order to show cause? Also, are there any time restrictions...

View more questions Search