Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharon32652 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2014, 06:46 AM
    Questions about a agreed judgement in Texas
    I received an agreed judgment for a credit card, with a payment plan that had been agreed to over the phone. There is a place for a judge and a lawyer to sign, but it also states that I don't have to go to court if I pay this debt out. It only says that I need to sign it two places for the agreement to be in effect, so my question is: does a judge and a lawyer have to sign this before I return the agreement to the law firm. Or can I just sign the two stipulated places for the agreement to be in effect?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2014, 07:06 AM
    This is for the judge to sign, if you do not pay as agreed. Then they take the form to the judge, he signs it, and they have a judgement against you. Without your right to go before the court.

So if you pay, as agreed, then there is no judgement, and no court record.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 26, 2014, 07:20 AM
    If you sign, you better pay, or they will sue breach of agreement. If you don't sign they will sue, and probably get paid, and you will subject yourself to additional fees, garnishment, and freezing of bank accounts until you do pay. Signing the agreement and paying likely keeps you out of court, and further legal action.

It would hurt nothing to consult an attorney, even for a small fee. Is this agreement a result of talks between you and the credit card companies attorney?

If so, then its a last chance to stay out of court and legal action, subject to you keeping your end of the deal. I don't think the attorney will submit it to a judge if you do, and it will be in force when you sign and return it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 26, 2014, 11:22 AM
    If you are asking whether you need to hire an attorney to also sign it, as your attorney, no.

If the form has a place for the plaintiff's lawyer to sign, I suspect that attorney left it unsigned, and will sign it before he or she receives it back from you. It will then be filed with the court for the judge to sign.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Receipt for agreed judgement for debt [ 3 Answers ]

Need to type up receipt for agreed upon settlement of lawsuit for debt to hospital to have lawyer sign.

What is an agreed judgement? [ 0 Answers ]

I have signed an agreed judgement for an outstanding debt with Citibank. The agreement with the Attorney (Collector) was to pay a small amount per month for a year, and then the amount would go up after a year. (From 250-800) I knew I wouldn't be able to make the higher payment but I agreed to...

What is the benefit of signing an agreed judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently making payments to a collection agency for a hospital bill. They want me to sign an agreed judgement to be submitted to the court. Do I have to sign this and is there an alternative? Full payment is not an option at this time.

Signing a Agreed Judgement to keep from going to court [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was sued by a credit card and was able to set up a payment plan with the attorney's who are handling the debt collection to keep it from going to court. They told me I have to sign a Agreed Judgement. What is this and what does it mean for my credit and if I end up having to file...

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

View more questions Search