Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maddierott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2014, 07:01 AM
    Quadro
    I thought you got half of the retirement///401 automatically when you got the divorce
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 25, 2014, 09:01 AM
    It looks like you thought wrong. The judge doesn't know about the retirement if you don't tell him or her. And the administrator of the retirement plan doesn't know about the divorce unless the QDRO specifies what is to be done about it.

Did you have an attorney?

What, if anything, does the divorce decree say about the retirement?

More details, and a question, would be helpful too. I.e.: what do you want to know?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 25, 2014, 11:33 AM
    Also, no, you don't automatically get half.

Say, for example, the spouse who is to retire was working at a company for forty years. Let's say that at the end of that forty years, the couple was married for one week and then divorced. The other spouse would not "automatically" be entitled to half.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 25, 2014, 12:27 PM
    In a divorce everything is negiotiable. In general it's true that each spouse is considered to "get" 1/2 of the value of retirement plans (like 401(k)'s) that accrued during the term of the marriage. But of course the parties may agree to swap an interest in one asset for another - for example giving up rights to a spouse's 401(k) in order to get full ownership of the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a quadro need be notarized [ 3 Answers ]

Is a quadro valid if downloaded from internet and does it have to be notarized

Quadro Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania but my divorce was in New York. Can a Pa lawyer do my quadro?

How can I get my quadro [ 3 Answers ]

When I was divorced the judge ordered a quadro for me to recive a portion of my Xs retirement. I just found out it was never done. Can this be something I ca proceed with myself ond if not how can I find a lawyer that I can afford? Can I also make my x pay for it since he maks about 5x what I do? I...

QUADRO/filing it myself [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a better and cheaper way to file a QUADRO on my own?

What is a quadro [ 1 Answers ]

What is a quadro. I recently settled my divorce as was granted part of my husband 401k. My attorney says it's going to be expensive for him to do the quadro. Are there other ways to do the quadro?

View more questions Search