Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dwhorn1030 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2014, 06:10 AM
    Legal custody
    I am married and have a 2 yr old son. I have a 24 yr old daughter from a previous marriage. If something were to happen to my wife and I, who would have the main legal right to him? His 24 yr old sister? Either of his grandmothers? My mother in law currently lives with us to help us out with him, does that factor in? I'd like my daughter to have him. I have not had a chance to update my will but was curious who would have rights to him. Thank you
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2014, 06:41 AM
    No one has a "legal" right. What you need to do is to prepare appropriate documents that will lay out what you want to happen. Durable Power of Attorney and a will update(codecil) is where you would start. Otherwise, the state will determine what happens.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2014, 07:52 AM
    You and your wife should speak to the person you want, and put it in writing.

If not, those who want custody, would have to approach the court and the court would decide

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Custody? [ 3 Answers ]

My son came home 2 months ago with a contusion on his shin, brusies on his leg, behind, arm and rashes on the top of his hands. His father admitted to me that he disciplined him with a belt on 2 occaisions during the 2 week visit. My son told me this is true, but also that his father grabbed him by...

Can a biomother ask for custody after ten years when legal custody is with PGM? [ 1 Answers ]

Mother children were removed from county agency.

Sole legal custody and primary physical custody? [ 9 Answers ]

My daughter has sole legal custody and primary physical custody of her son in the state of Az. And that is exactly how it is stated in the divorce decree. Does she need permission from the father to travel out of the country on vacation or does she just need to tell him?

In joint legal custody does can one parent get primary physical custody? [ 1 Answers ]

My child's father is in military and in order to get housing needs to show he will have baby for 50% of yr... in order to do so he needs custody but I'm not trying to give up my legal rights as her mother... what can we do?

Primary physical custody and joint legal custody [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person...

View more questions Search