Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistyr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Angry Tenant
    Hey, my name is Misty, and I just have a question on my lease agreement.

My husband and I have lived in our duplex for 10 months. Well, about 3 months into our lease our landlord sold his properties to another guy. This new guy thinks he can change our lease agreement just because he wants to. I have a 3-year-old daughter and a 6-month-old son, it was in the mid 90's here last weekend and our air conditioner went out. I called the landlord on Saturday and he told me he was in South Carolina with his family and there wasn’t anything he could do about it until Monday. Sunday night I went to shut the glass window in our storm door and the glass just fell out and crushed my foot; causing blood to build up under one of my toenails. I had to have a hole drilled into my toenail to get the blood out, resulting in the loss of my toenail. Now this might not seem like that big of a deal, but when my landlord laughs about it I get pissed off. Monday rolled around I never heard from him and he wouldn’t return my calls. We finally got it fixed on Tuesday. I then told the landlord that he needed to fix the rest of the problems that we were having, and he told me that he would get to it when he got to it.
    Well, this is now the 4th day in the month and my landlord comes by telling me if I don’t get him the rent by tomorrow (the 5th) he will slap an eviction letter on my door. Well my original lease says I have till the 10th of every month to pay it. My current landlord thinks he can just change my lease to have my rent due on the 4th without me agreeing to it. I told him the lease I signed says I have till the 10th and that’s when he will get it. He informed he that if he didn’t have my rent on or before the 10th of this month there will be an eviction letter stuck on my front door giving me 10 days to move. Can he just tell me to get out like that or how much time must he give me?

Am I in the wrong about this, can he change it just because he is the new owner or does my original lease still stand?

Please help me with these questions…

Thanks,
    Misty
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 08:00 AM
    He is a brute, blowing hot air. Your lease remains in force unless the property was foreclosed. He can't make changes and his eviction notice won't be worth the paper its written on. Don't get into a wee wee matchh with a skunk and don't give him any way to nail you like mailing your rent on the 9th day. It won't arrive by the 10th andthen he'll be all over you. Keep good notes and records. If he calls let the answering machine save his messages for the fture. I'd start ooking for a new place and not renew at the end of this lease. He will probably try something with your security deposit too.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Apr 5, 2007, 04:11 PM
    I dropped a TV on my toe and had a hole drilled in it - I lost the toenail and kept it for several years... better than the alternative.

Send your new landlord a copy of YOUR copy of your lease with your rent check. Highlight the grace period in the lease... he can't change the lease you had with your old landlord HOWEVER you need to lighten up. He did not slam your glass door and break it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Why am I so angry with him [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all I have had this huge problem that I can't seem to let go of. Let me first tell you the basis of it all. I had been in a serious long term relationship with a man for nearly 4 years, I was living with him at the time and we were due to get married. But unfortunately the relationship ended...

Why does she gets angry easily? [ 1 Answers ]

We have been dating for the past 3 years and yet she easily gets angry over little things (either relevant or not). Why do I do?

Angry [ 2 Answers ]

Dear who ever I will not tell you my name. For some reason I am always feeling :mad: with someone but I don't know who.

In Love but Always Angry [ 3 Answers ]

I have been dating for 2 years. We've moved in together. I'm 21 and he is 36. Age Difference... I know! My problem is he takes everything the wrong way. I love him! But, we have different views on how to raise children. I have a 6 year old son. He has a 6 year old daughter and a 9 year old son....

View more questions Search