Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srik_316 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 07:19 AM
    F1 Student India 1099-MISC
    Hello,

I am an f-1 student from india. I am working on campus and at a company under co-op.

I changed my co-op employer in October 2006 and they have given me a 1099-MISC form. I have also recievd two w2's from my university and previous co-op employer.

My income from w2's is $29000. The combined Fed tax on the W2's is $2200. I am reporting the W2 on 1040-NR EZ and I owe about $800 in taxes. Do you think this is correct?

I was told to report the 1099-MISC on a 1040-NR with a schedule C. So, should I write the 1099-MISC amount on line 13 of 1040-NR? Also, the amount is $3306. Do you think I will owe taxes for this amount or will I be exempt from a treaty with india. If I am exempt, can you tell me where should I put the treaty information?

Thank you,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 12:15 PM
    You are using the wrong form; you need to use Form 1040NR and use Schedule C to report the Form 1099-MISC income.

The Form 1099 income is subject to federal and state income taxes, but NOT self-employment taxes (due to your international student status). It is NOT exempt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

Dependent student paid with 1099-MISC [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is a 20-year-old full-time college student and as such can still be claimed on my taxes as a dependent. On her own taxes she checks the box that she can be and has been filed as a dependent to someone else's taxes. In past years all of her part-time employment has been recorded as...

Non resident alien student with both W2 and 1099-MISC reported income [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a nonresident alien student (under an F-1 visa) and I had a campus job for which I got a wage reported in Box 2 of a W2 form. During the summer, I got a job for which I got a 1099-MISC form (reporting my income in Box 7). As far as I know, I should file a 1040NR form adding a Schedule C-EZ and...

View more questions Search