Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FrigidDev Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2014, 02:52 PM
    How to find all students enrolled in a school?
    I'm trying to find a way to get all the students of a school who are currently enrolled.
    Does anyone know a way?
    It's a high school
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 22, 2014, 02:54 PM
    WHat would you need it for? Meaning the school has it but they aren't under any obligation to hand it over to anyone but the authorities....being the students are essentially all minors (except for a handful). At least in the USA.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 22, 2014, 02:56 PM
    Find? Get? Those are vague words. Names, addresses, phone numbers, what, and for what purpose?
    But the answer is that you are not entitled to invade the privacy of those under the age of adulthood in any way, regardless of the reason. Even if it's just to try to sell them graduation or prom items. Nope!

May 22, 2014, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Find? Get? Those are vague words. Names, addresses, phone numbers, what, and for what purpose?
    But the answer is that you are not entitled to invade the privacy of those under the age of adulthood in any way, regardless of the reason. Even if it's just to try to sell them graduation or prom items. Nope!
    Names, grade they are currently in, that sort of thing.
    Certainly knowing the name and grade of a person isn't an invasion of privacy?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 22, 2014, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FrigidDev View Post
    Names, grade they are currently in, that sort of thing.
    Certainly knowing the name and grade of a person isn't an invasion of privacy?
    Of course it is! I would be livid if a school gave out any information about my children.

May 22, 2014, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Of course it is! I would be livid if a school gave out any information about my children.
    Really? I didn't think it would be a big deal, since it's only the name and grade...

Never mind...
    Just so you know, I'm not a predator, I'm not even an adult yet, I was just looking for a lost family member, my bad.
    :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 22, 2014, 04:12 PM
    Really? I didn't think it would be a big deal, since it's only the name and grade...

Never mind...
    Just so you know, I'm not a predator, I'm not even an adult yet, I was just looking for a lost family member, my bad.
    Then you contact the school(s) and tell the person in charge whom you are looking for. You do have a name in mind, right?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 22, 2014, 04:13 PM

Never mind...
    The thing is, the school cannot give out that information without parental consent. That means you'd have to get the consent of every parent of every child that goes to that school.

Why would you need all the names and grades if you're looking for a lost family member? Surely you must know the name of the family member. Why would you need the names of every student in the school?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2014, 05:35 PM
    If this is a college, often the college web site may have full contact info listed on its official pages.

But a high school, are children, and there are more privacy for protection.

One could I guess locate a year book, for a school. And find out who was in what class last year.

I can not think of any good reason to need to know all the children in a school.
    Pets Expert

May 22, 2014, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If this is a college, often the college web site may have full contact info listed on its official pages.

But a high school, are children, and there are more privacy for protection.

One could I guess locate a year book, for a school. And find out who was in what class last year.

I can not think of any good reason to need to know all the children in a school.
    Chuck, the OP clearly posted that this is a high school. So we're dealing with children, not adults.

A year book is a good idea, but not all students will be in the year book. The parents have to consent to having their child's picture in a year book, on a website for the school, everything. I have to sign a form every year for both of my kids saying that I allow them to be photographed, allow them to be in the yearbook, and allow their pictures, or work, to be posted on the schools website. Not all parents agree to this. In fact, I know at least 10 parents personally, that do not agree to this, and their children do not appear in anything, and no one can get info, or pictures of them, because they parents didn't consent to allow this.

Back in my day it wasn't a big deal. I don't remember my parents ever having to sign a consent form to allow my picture to be in the yearbook. But back then the yearbook was the only place that my picture and name would appear. In today's world of online, it's much more dangerous. A lot of parents don't want their children's info, and pictures, online. Once there, it's there forever.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 22, 2014, 06:13 PM
    My college alma mater won't give out personal information about current or past students. If I want to contact a former classmate, I have to give my name to the alumni office which will then contact that person and tell them MY contact information. My grad school university is the same way, so I'm guessing most colleges/universities operate that way too. Faculty names are on each school's web site, but not students' names (at least not in the U.S.).
    Pets Expert

May 22, 2014, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    My college alma mater won't give out personal information about current or past students. If I want to contact a former classmate, I have to give my name to the alumni office which will then contact that person and tell them MY contact information. My grad school university is the same way, so I'm guessing most colleges/universities operate that way too. Faculty names are on each school's web site, but not students' names (at least not in the U.S.).
    Same here. If I want info on anyone I went to school with, kindergarten through 12th grade, and college, I have to ask the office, and they ask the student I'm looking for. Unless they agree, I can't get the info.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2014, 11:33 PM
    The two American colleges I worked at, had online roster of name and college email addresses. Plus all of the employees and their work email addresses.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2014, 07:58 AM
    The two American colleges I worked at, had online roster of name and college email addresses. Plus all of the employees and their work email addresses.
    But, as an employee there, you probably had a password?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 23, 2014, 08:22 AM

Never mind...
    How old are you and what relation is the 'lost' family member?

Since you are asking about a full list of students instead of a single name, I am going to guess that there is a lot to this story that would be best handled by talking to your parents or other family members. It may not seem fair, but the adults are the ones who should make the decision about finding this person.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 23, 2014, 09:35 AM
    Pardon me if I'm wrong, but if you were looking for a relative, I think you would have said so, and not asked such a vague question. I'm wondering if this is a case of young love. That's OK - many teens and adults ask about finding people every day, someone they met on a beach or online or at a party. But now you know...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm currently enrolled in American academy of pinecrest online high school [ 0 Answers ]

& I'm worried I won't be able to go to a college next year. I'm doing good do far the classes are fairly fast to complete & I get to finish whenever I have time. My only concern is that it was a waste of money. I was wondering if there's any colleges in NY that accept you with an accredited diploma...

Trying to get my daughter enrolled in school [ 6 Answers ]

My exwife is having problems with our daughter. She is now giving her to me and I tried today to enroll her in school. It is out of state from her mom. Her mom has custody and is willing to let me have her but the school will not let me enroll her since I don't have custody. Is this not denying a...

Finding the students in a school [ 1 Answers ]

A school has 300 student, of whom 144 are boys.If 45% of the first year students are boys, while 50% of the other year students are boys, find the number of first year students in the school

View more questions Search