Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ValerieH213 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2014, 09:07 PM
    Electrical Wiring Help
    I have an outdoor light that I have replaced. This is wired correctly but the light still doesn't work. I then replaced the light switch inside, which again has been wired as shown, although the light switch inside has several other wires that were previously capped off. The light still doesn't work. Any suggestions
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 16, 2014, 03:51 AM
    If it is wired correctly as you state then it should work, no?
    Did you wire the new light exactly as the old one one?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 16, 2014, 07:40 AM
    Good morning.

Do you have or can you get a multi-meter? You can pick one up at most hardware stores and certainly at Home Depot or Lowe's.

We need to find out if voltage is present at the switch. If there is no voltage, then we need to go backwards until we find the problem.

The first thing I would do is to verify that the circuit breaker that feeds this circuit is on. The best way to do this is to push the handle all the way Off and then back to the On position.

Then with the meter you can start checking for voltage.

Also, please take a picture of both the connections at the light and the switch and attach them to this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old electrical wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of selling my older home in the home inspection it was found with an open circuit because the wire on that outlet had not been upgrades fron the old 2 wire wiring that was originally in gth house, aside from totally replacing the wire is there anything I can do to fix the issue?

Electrical Wiring Help [ 6 Answers ]

I have an electrical wiring problem that I would like some help with. I don't know much about electrical, and, as such have added a diagram to help describe the situation. The jist of the scenario is I have two switches outside that were used to control two different lights but would like to add a...

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching [ 6 Answers ]

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching? Then fire?

Cu/al electrical wiring [ 1 Answers ]

A home I'm considering buying as a "AU/CL" label on the circuit box. Does this mean the home has aluminum wiring?

Electrical wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How to wire a sub panel for the purpose of installing a new elctric range in a remodeled kitchen. The main panel is a 100 amp square d breaker box , as is the new sub panel box. Sincerely, bill rinaldi Scranton, pa.

View more questions Search