Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack kaufman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2014, 08:35 AM
    Motion to discover
    I don't have a attorney yet but I need to know how to obtain the motion to discovery for my case that is still pending. It is my first offense, so I don't know what to do. I'm 54yrs old. I live in Missouri. Anything you can do to help, will be greatly appreciated. If you need more info let me know.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 08:42 AM
    It really depends on the offense. You don't give us enough info to assist you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 09:01 AM
    first offense
    This is a criminal case? Were you arraigned? Did the judge accept your plea without you having an attorney?

As Lincoln said, "a person who defends himself has a fool for a client" (or something like that). Get an attorney or see if one can be appointed if you cannot afford one.

If you insist on defending yourself, send the discovery request, in writing, to the prosecutor. What sort of discovery do you seek?

May 2, 2014, 09:18 AM
    I have 5 drug charges.my pain meds, weed,meth. All bs got setup.need help please
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 09:29 AM
    Do you have a doctors prescription for all of them? I am assuming you were not on Parole or Probation and were prohibited from even prescribed medications as you said this is a first offense.

I'm with AKLawyer...you really don't want to do this yourself even if they let you. You have too much to lose.

May 2, 2014, 10:12 AM
    How do I get copy of motion of descovery? I have recently became disabled all I have is my disability hard to get lawyer.not from this area.I thank you for your help
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 10:27 AM
    If you have nothing but your disability pension, I suspect you would qualify for a public defender.

Read the Missouri criminal rules to determine how discovery works in your jurisdiction. In some states, limited discovery in criminal cases is automatic: the prosecutor has to give you certain information. For more than that, as I say, first you ask for it. If they refuse or fail to give it to you, then you would draft a motion. You aren't going to find an "off the shelf" motion. That's what lawyers are for.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 07:20 PM
    What is it you wish to discover, The results of the tests of the drugs. Assuming they had a warrant, the warrant application information.

If you had drugs, and they are prescription, and you had them legally from your doctor, then the charge is BS

If they were not your mediccation, if you were buying them illegally, if you possessed them, without a prescription, then the charges would be valid, in Missouri.

Also in Missouri, if you had more than one doctor, (and doctors did not know about each other) and got prescriptions from different doctors, for excessive medication, there are possible criminal charges for that also

Also, at the first appearance, the judge should have asked you about an attorney. Have you asked about a public defender. Most evidence will be given to your attorney automatically, as soon as you get an attorney.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 2, 2014, 07:24 PM
    Meth is the biggy obviously. How are you going to prove that you were set up with meth? And weed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2014, 08:12 PM
    I'm with Chuck, what is it you need to discover? You don't know what the prosecutor has against you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CA: Filing a second motion after filing Notice of Motion & Motion for Child Sup. Mod. [ 2 Answers ]

In California Family Court, I recently filed a Notice of Motion and Motion for Simplified Modification of Order to reduce child support due to a job loss followed by a new job at much lower pay. I have a court date on February 23, 2010. Going through prior court documents from a hearing in 2008,...

Motion for discover [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to find a general form regarding motion for discover to send to the law firm that has summoned me for a 1996 credit card debt. I am not sure if a need a court approved form or if I can just draft something up on my own. I live in Ohio and I do believe the SOL has expired. Any...

What is involved in a motion to discover? [ 2 Answers ]

Forgive me for any mistakes I may make involving this matter. I went to court today and was ordered to produce an order of discovery. What exactly does this consist of? It's concerning a credit card debt involving my business account. What am I supposed to turn over to this attorney? ...

View more questions Search