Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kiwikattyy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2014, 07:05 AM
    A ball is thrown horizontally at 20 m/s from a bridge that is 42 m high. Calculate th
    A ball is thrown horizontally at 20 m/s from a bridge that is 42 m high. Calculate the speed at which the ball strikes the water below
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 28, 2014, 07:30 AM
    Hint: break it down into horizontal and vertical components of motion.

Apr 28, 2014, 11:09 AM
    So x comp is the 20m/s and y comp is gravity and height ?
    Expert

Apr 28, 2014, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikattyy View Post
    So x comp is the 20m/s and y comp is gravity and height ?
    Yes
    EastCoastGal Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2014, 02:22 AM
    Use one of your kinetic formulas, they're three basic ones.

Apr 29, 2014, 08:24 AM
    I'm really confused. Could you please show me, with working? Please! :) I'm super desperate haha
    Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 08:37 AM
    First determine the vertical component of velocity of the projetile when it hits the gropund, after falling with acceleration 'g' for a distance of 42 m. This formula ought tio look familiar"

Here , now solve for . The horizontal component of velocity you already know. Finally use Pythagoras to find the magnitude of the velocity at impact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A baseball with the 230 gramsis thrown down from bridge 280m above the water with 8 [ 0 Answers ]

A baseball with the mass 230 grams is thrown down from bridge 280m above the water with initial velocity of 8m/s A) find its veloity when hit the water? b)find length of time the ball is in the air? C) What is the Ke when hit the water?

Thrown ball [ 1 Answers ]

A blue ball is thrown upward with an initial speed of 21.2 m/s, from a height of 0.9 meters above the ground. 2.6 seconds after the blue ball is thrown, a red ball is thrown down with an initial speed of 10.8 m/s from a height of 25.4 meters above the ground. The force of gravity due to the earth...

Ball thrown upward [ 2 Answers ]

This seems so easy to me but I just can't figure it out.. A ball is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 26.4 m/s. How high does it rise? Answer in units of m.

Thriller, girl thrown from bridge [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to find the title to a movie, where a girl is thrown from a road bridge and lands on the bonnet of a car below. Each story in the film is linked to this event. Think the lead is played by michelle gellar. Thanks

Calculating height of ball thrown [ 2 Answers ]

A ball is thrown straight up at an initial speed of 50m per second. Neglect air resistance, how high does it go

View more questions Search