Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    midcentury's Avatar
    midcentury Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 24, 2014, 11:15 PM
    Is nonimmigrant visa a solution when refused entry in the US under the VWP?

    I'm a French citizen currently residing in Canada. My citizenship normally would allow me to travel to the US for tourism under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

    However, having committed a crime of moral turpitude in Canada in the past (shop lifting under 5000$), I've been refused entry to the US a few week ago, and this even though having been granted a pardon in 2012. I am aware of the fact that I could try to apply for a "temporary waiver of inadmissibility", which takes a few months to be processed, and really isn't guaranteed to be delivered.

    However - The Border officer suggested I try to fill out an application for a nonimmigrant visa in order to travel in the future, and that such a visa would be valid from 1 to 10 years.

    I have looked it up on the internet, but haven't found any clear answer on whether a nonimmigrant visa would be the proper solution in my specific situation.

    Any light on this would be greatly appreciated!
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Apr 25, 2014, 03:14 AM
    Why 'look it up on the net' which you are still doing by asking us and call Canadian Immigration. I don't think a non-immigrant visa is the answer depending on how long you have been living in Canada, on what kind of visa have you been living in Canada?
    midcentury's Avatar
    midcentury Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 25, 2014, 02:45 PM
    I have lived for 12 years in Canada with a student visa and several temporary work permits. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I'll be a Permanent Resident very soon (ie in a few days).
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Apr 25, 2014, 04:07 PM
    midcentury, wish I could answer your question in lieu of your most recent information, but I cant. Suggest you call Immigration Canada to get a really qualified answer. You can remain anonymous when asking if that is what you are worried about.
    newacct's Avatar
    newacct Posts: 319, Reputation: 21
    Full Member

    Apr 25, 2014, 06:17 PM
    tickle: The OP is asking about entry to the U.S.
    midcentury's Avatar
    midcentury Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 26, 2014, 07:31 AM
    Thanks for your answers. My doubts indeed are relative to entry to the US.
    I guess I can call a US consulate, but I was wondering if I could benefit from an external expertise. I hope you'll forgive me, but my past experiences with immigration authorities (mainly those of Canada) significantly diminished my faith in them consistently delivering complete and accurate information.
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Apr 26, 2014, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    tickle: The OP is asking about entry to the U.S.
    Yes, I know that, newacct. I suggested calling Canadian immigration because he stated he would be a permanent resident soon. That impacts his entry into the US for visiting.
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Apr 26, 2014, 09:21 AM
    This applies to all, if you have criminal records (DUIs charged as felony included), VWP is not for you. Apply for non-immigrant visa and you must disclose all info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refused entry from US into Canada [ 6 Answers ]

What does A42 as a reason for being denied entry into Canada from the US by a US national (born and raised in US) mean? I can think of reasons my nephew was denied, such as driver's license from NY but entering from Montana where he just moved to, no current job (lots of money from computer...

UK Marriage Visa Refused [ 13 Answers ]

Im an American born, my fiancée is a british national. I recently applied for a visit to marriage visa but was refused because I didn't provide enough evidence our marriage would take place. We recently contacted a professional in the field apparently and he said instead of appealing, to just re...

I want to apply my husband visa as my dependent visa despite he is refused before? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to apply my husband visa second time,however he is refused in appel.could you tell the guidline for getting visa and chances for success?

If my visit visa ti us refused do you suggest to change the type of visa [ 1 Answers ]

My visit visa b1/b2 to us refused for the second time do you think I have to apply for new kind of visa Best regards,

Refused Entry & Now married to a US Citizen [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am hoping someone else has gone through the same experience as me. A few months ago I was refused entry into the US as they believed I was there under false pretences. I was travelling back to the states with my partner to visit him for a month and then was returning to the Spain where I...

View more questions Search