Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boknows Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2014, 10:58 AM
    If exspouse defaults on part of divorce decree about a mortgage, what options do I
    Exspouse was to assume the mortgage per divorce decree and was later unble to refinance and home is about to enter foreclosure, what are my options... I also signed a quit claim deed w/ divorce but I'm still on the mortgage..
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 1, 2014, 11:42 AM
    You may still be liable for a deficiency judgment when the property is sold at foreclosure, assuming the foreclosure sale does not go for the amount owed or more.

Your options?

• File a claim against your attorney (if you were represented by an attorney in the divorce) who advised you to sign a quit claim deed before the re-finance had happened. That was not a smart move on your part.

• See if you can work with your ex spouse to obtain the lender's approval for a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure, or short sale.
    • seek bankruptcy protection

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are my rights if someone defaults on a joint mortgage payment [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have a joint motgage with another couple for a beautiful apartment in the Algarve. One of the party has defaulted on two payments so far and intends to decline future payments. If we make the payments on their behalf, will they continue to have full legal rights over their share?...

Divorce decree [ 3 Answers ]

In my divorce decree it says my ex has to watch the kids when I work. I just got a new job and I have to work the weekends. Does he still have to watch the kids? Also he has not done some of the stuff in the divorce decree. How do I enforce that? Is he in contempt by not doing what he was...

Divorce Decree [ 2 Answers ]

I know I shouldn't be the one doing this but my girlfriend does not like asking such questions. But in here divorce decree, her ex husband is supposed to pay her a monthly amount. He has since quit his job because he is in rehab and now faces the possibility of jail time. My question is, what...

View more questions Search