Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimberlyjane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Internet Activity History
    Is there a way I can find out how long someone has been on a particular website without
    Buying tracking software?
    burn56 Posts: 41, Reputation: 11

Apr 3, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Using internet explorer press ctrl-H to bring up the history log. Review history.
    Not there?
    Go to my computer
    Go to the toolbar at the top, hit tools
    Folder options
    view
    Find the checkbox show all files and folders. Select it.
    Hit apply.
    Now on the my computer screen;
    Click C:
    If your running windows 2000 or windows xp: click documents and settings
    Then the user account in question.
    From there go to local settings
    You can click on temporary internet files and search by internet address.
    -Matt
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Apr 3, 2007, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by burn56
    using internet explorer press ctrl-H to bring up the history log. Review history.
    Not there?
    Goto my computer
    Goto the toolbar at the top, hit tools
    folder options
    view
    find the checkbox show all files and folders. select it.
    Hit apply.
    Now on the my computer screen;
    click C:
    if your running windows 2000 or windows xp: click documents and settings
    then the user account in question.
    from there goto local settings
    you can click on temporary internet files and search by internet address.
    -Matt
    I dont think you will be able to find the duration of using a particular site from the temporary folder. Anyone who knows how to use the computer well can also clear the history and the temporary files.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 11:22 PM
    I agree with both Matt and Shaved and their suggestions. They are good answers. A lot of variables here in trying to find out this information.

But, it depends on what type of operating system you have and how long "cookies" are kept in the machine. For me, that is XP, and I am set-up to be able to have access to everything in my machine since I requested it to be that way and a friend built it for me. By the way, got my new computer in exchange for me tuning his piano and repairing the bench. Not a bad deal! He is a computer tech with a local firm.

I would click on My Computer, click on Local Disk (usually C), click on Documents and Settings, click on any of the folders that you find there until you find one with cookies being one of the folders in it, click on the cookies folder.

If you find a cookies folder that has a lot of cookies in it then you can click on Date Modified, and that will give you an idea of which sites and for when and approximately how long they were visited.

You also might want to check out the links at the bottom of this page to answers to questions that are similar to the one that you have asked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet history [ 1 Answers ]

How do I check the internet history that has been erased? Thanks! Angel

Unknown internet activity [ 2 Answers ]

Lately I've noticed unknown internet activity on my computer. I'm running xp and have anti virus software, spyware and zonealarm, etc. I'm using a dialup connection and while this unknown activity takes place browsing becomes very slow. Could someone please advise me how I can determine just...

Clear internet history [ 2 Answers ]

I have cleared my internet history but files still remain

Track internet history [ 2 Answers ]

I sometimes visit webpages that I do not want other people to see. So I regularly clean internet history (basic methods, in the tool bar, internet options delete internet history), but I wonder still my roommate who shares the computer can track the internet history. Is it possible to see the...

I cannot clear my internet history! [ 2 Answers ]

When I go to Tools, Internet options and click "clear history" then click on the pic of the clock with the arrow (history) the sites I've visited are still there. The thing is the function worked the other day and my history could be cleared. I don't really care about all the cookies and temp....

View more questions Search