Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tej13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2014, 04:15 AM
    Protected sex during fertile days
    Hi,
    I had last taken an I pill in November 2013. I'm planning to have sex the coming weekend which seems to b my fertile days as per my period tracker.
    How safe is it to take I pill after a gap of 3 months & what r d chances of getting pregnant if I have protected sex using a condom? Should I take an I pill even after having protected sex during my fertile days to avoid pregnancy?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2014, 02:58 PM
    Hi tej13,

If the condom is used correctly... only one episode of sex per condom... it is on correctly before ANY penetration... and it is carefully removed soon after ejaculation... and there is no continued penetration after it has been removed... it is considered quite effective. Obviously any sex, protected or not, may result in a pregnancy.

A 3 month gap between using the ipill is fine, but they are not without risk, and not for use as regular birth control. If you plan to have sex on a more frequent basis, be sure to discuss alternative methods with your doctor.
    Elle16 Posts: 11, Reputation: 5

Mar 23, 2014, 06:34 PM
    In one year with perfect use (meaning couples use condoms consistently and correctly at every act of sex), 98 percent of women relying on male condoms will remain pregnancy free. With typical use, 85 percent relying on male condoms will remain pregnancy free. (Hatcher RA et al. Contraceptive Technology, 18th rev. ed. New York: Ardent Media, 2004.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2014, 10:43 PM
    From Elie post, that still leaves a 2 percent chance of pregnancy when used perfectly. And a 15 percent chance as normally used.

This is close to Planned Parenthood that gives a 3 to 18 percent chance of failure.

Also the Ipill is not 100 percent effective and has possible side effects.

Have you considered a regular form of birth control, along with the condom for best protection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Had protected sex 6 days before expected period, now I am 3 days late. [ 8 Answers ]

I had sex 6 days before the start of my expected period. We did use a condom to be safe. However, now I am 3 days late. Normally, I am never late. And I am almost positive I have a regular 28 day cycle. Help?

I had protected sex but my period is eight days late! [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I had protected sex last month, December 25th. He pulled out and noticed that there was a hole, but he was not close to at all. My period was due on the 29th and today is January 7th, but it's still not here making it eight days late. Is there any way I am possibly pregnant even...

Sex two months in a row on fertile days, late but had a period, feel funny [ 1 Answers ]

What is the possibility of becoming pregnant if you had intercourse on your fertile days and day of ovulation? Because I had been trying to Conceive but wasn't paying attention to my fertile days so last month I had had intercourse 3 days of my fertile days the following month my cycle came on...

I had sex with my man unprotected than protected sex with a friend 2 days later, who [ 9 Answers ]

I had unprotected sex with my ex-boyfriend on 7/28/2010 , than I had sex with my new boyfriend, which he used a condom on 7/30/2010. On 8/7/2010 my breast started to swell and are very,very tender now. I think I'm pregnant but a bit scared becus I had sex with two guys so close even though the last...

View more questions Search