Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lpenek Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Metal flashing under shingles?
    We are about to roof a newly constructed barn. I have noticed on an older building we have that no moss grows below skylights that have metal flashing but grows heavily elsewhere. I was wondering if anyone inserts a row of metal under the top row of shingles the whole length of the roof to prevent moss growth. It seems like a good idea to me. If I did it does anyone have any experience with doing so? If so what type of metal. I think the flashing around the skylights was just galvanized metal. Thanks for your help. Lynne
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 08:27 AM
    You are 100% correct about the flashing preventing moss. It isn't galvanized that does it, its copper flashing with copper nails.

Apr 3, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lpenek
    We are about to roof a newly constructed barn. I have noticed on an older building we have that no moss grows below skylights that have metal flashing but grows heavily elsewhere. I was wondering if anyone inserts a row of metal under the top row of shingles the whole length of the roof to prevent moss growth. It seems like a good idea to me. If I did it does anyone have any experience with doing so? If so what type of metal. I think the flashing around the skylights was just galvanized metal. Thansk for your help. Lynne
    PS. The copper flashing leaches copper sulphite which killls moss.

Apr 3, 2007, 01:41 PM
    It might have been a zinc flashing which looks a bit like galavnized from the ground. Copper and/or zinc are the way to go, both work. I've sent you two private messages with web sites and more info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shingles [ 4 Answers ]

Can you get shingles in the genital area?

Metal and non metal temperature [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why metals are or appear to be colder than non metals?

Shingles [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've been miserable for 3 weeks. For 5 days I had unbearable pain and thought I had the flu. I took a lot of ibuprophen for the pain and slept for 3 days pretty much non stop. Then I went to work for two days and a small rash appeared on my back. I thought it was wearing a new pair of...

Metal Roof Valley Flashing [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to reroof over shingles with metal on a house that has 4 valleys. What is the best way to Flash the valleys and end the metal panels at the valleys. How far should the flashing extend under the panels? Should I use modified roofing under the metal in the valleys. How should I attach the...

Shingles [ 4 Answers ]

My concern is the shingle virus in a swimming pool would the virus be in the water if someone went in with a blister and if so how long would it remain in the water? Thanks

View more questions Search