Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2014, 03:09 PM
    Need help with running Time Warner cable to workshop.
    I'm trying to find out if it's feasible to run a Time Warner internet access cable about 250 feet to my workshop. I have Time Warner cable for TV and also Internet access. Their cable runs underground to my house where there is a splitter mounted on the outside of the house that splits the TV and Internet. Then inside the house there is another splitter between two TV's. I was wondering if I can install a splitter in the cable before it gets to the house and run another cable about 250 feet so I can have TV and Internet access in my workshop also. I know I would have to pay Time Warner for a third box, etc. Thanks for any info.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2014, 04:14 PM
    I'm not clear is this workshop outside the house on inside. If inside its not a problem. If outside you have to use special Coax outdoor cable.

Mar 15, 2014, 05:10 PM
    Guess I wasn't very clear. Anyway, my workshop is a separate building about 250 feet from where the cable is attached to the wall of my house. The price of the underground cable is no problem. I was just wondering if putting a splitter in the cable that goes to my computer would affect reception in the house or slow down internet access speed, etc. Thanks again for your response.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 05:33 PM
    NO, it should not as long as you have a separate box for the TV. The internet is separate and has its own modem and wifi has its own box, but the range for wifi is 500 feet so you should be okay if you already have wifi in your house.

Matter of fact if the house has wifi presently, you should be able to use it for your laptop now in your work shop. Is this the case?

Mar 15, 2014, 07:54 PM
    Actually I have an extra desktop computer I want to put in the shop as well as a TV set. I do have wifi in the house already and was hoping that it would work as well in the shop. However, I tried going online in the shop and it was a no gol I am using a D Link DIR 655 modem and the house here is brick veneer sided. Would that affect the range of the wifi, as it is only about 250 feet from the modem to the shop, which certainly be within the 500 foot range you mentioned.

I do appreciate your input in this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2014, 07:58 PM
    It should not be an issue at all. I put my wifi in the attic of one house, to have internet in the yard and on the deck. They also make outdoor antenna for wifi.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 16, 2014, 05:55 AM
    The make up of the house has no bearing I would think, just you need a direct link (Ethernet cable) to the (D-Link) modem. That means a box for both the TV, and the desktop. I have 2 old desktops that became basically obsolete when I switched to a laptop (and the monitors, wireless key boards, and mouses).

A laptop and a USB link cable makes cable TV obsolete in many ways as most everything is streamed through the Internet even movies. For your application though, with the 250 feet of cable and an extra box for the TV, and an extra box for the Internet is doable but expensive in the long term, (cost of box rentals/leasing) using a desktop. Everybody I know is trying to make use of those old desk tops, and monitors with all that stored data and programming.

Mar 16, 2014, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    It should not be an issue at all. I put my wifi in the attic of one house, to have internet in the yard and on the deck. They also make outdoor antenna for wifi.
    Thanks for your input, I'll check into the outdoor antenna for my wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The make up of the house has no bearing I would think, just you need a direct link (Ethernet cable) to the (D-Link) modem. That means a box for both the TV, and the desktop. I have 2 old desktops that became basically obsolete when I switched to a laptop (and the monitors, wireless key boards, and mouses).

A laptop and a USB link cable makes cable TV obsolete in many ways as most everything is streamed through the Internet even movies. For your application though, with the 250 feet of cable and an extra box for the TV, and an extra box for the Internet is doable but expensive in the long term, (cost of box rentals/leasing) using a desktop. Everybody I know is trying to make use of those old desk tops, and monitors with all that stored data and programming.
    Again, thanks for your input, you have been very helpful. I think I will check more fully into using my present wifi and maybe an outdoor antenna.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

External HD for Time Warner's DVR [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find an external HD of at least 500gb that will work with Time Warners Scientific American 8300HDC DVR box. I have one that will work on the 8300HD, but not on the 8300HDC. Anybody able to help?

Time-Warner remote won't work with Olevia TV [ 8 Answers ]

I recently bought an Olevia 232T HD LCD TV and have Time-Warner cable. They furnished me with a remote control, Universal URSU-8700L. However, I can't it programmed to turn the TV on and off. I have tried all the codes listed in the manual for Olevia TV's, but none of them work and I have...

Running new TV cable [ 3 Answers ]

Currently have five TV's and a computer. Reception from Comcast is just fair. Checked cable connection and found that there are six splitters in the crawl. Should I run all new from the outside splitter? Run one line to each of the TV's? Or what is the best way to do this project? Any help...

Still running cable [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I had a question about running cable behind the fireplace and thank you to tkrussell for answering my question. After cutting an opening behind the wall, I found that there was insulation and a lot of space behind the studs and the flue. Is it all right to pull the cables behind...

Running power to a detached workshop [ 1 Answers ]

With apologies for what might be a stupid question. I'm thinking or running power to my workshop (40 feet) and busy reading up on what is involved... I plan on doing the job myself as I'm a reasonably experienced handyman. I'm told I should run something like 8/3 2 feet underground although not...

View more questions Search