Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CAB 13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2014, 12:18 AM
    How to adjust temperature on an electric water heater?
    I took a shower today and the hot water turned to cold in only 2 or 3 minutes. I'm assuming that the water heater needs to be adjusted. I want to know how to do that or what else could be causing the water to go cold faster?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2014, 01:45 PM
    Unless the power was off, the only way it would get cold that fast is if the dip tube is broken off. With a broken dip tube, the cold water coming in stays on top as it short circuits to the hot side. Dip tubes can be replaced but you would have to disassemble the cold water input side to check.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2014, 02:40 PM
    I am no plumbing afficianado but my sister had that same problem just last week and it turned out to be the pressure relief valve. She could hear water running out the overflow continuously but it took them a while to find the problem. For what it's worth.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2014, 11:24 PM
    You could also have a bad bottom element. You need to check it with a meter first to make sure that an element has not burned in two. Turn off power and remove one wire on each element and check the elements on "ohms."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane water heater pilot light goes out when the outside temperature goes up [ 1 Answers ]

Our propane water heater works fine AS long as the outside temperature is below 78 degrees, then the pilot light goes out. The water heater is located outside, we are able to re light it fine, but what a bother. What could be causing this?

State Select Water heater temperature [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved into a condo and the water temperature isn't hot enough. I opened up both upper and lower access panels, and they both have styrofoam panels glued over the controls. Is it okay to cut through those panels to get to the controls?

I have an all electric home and want to replace electric hot water heater with electr [ 2 Answers ]

We have a total electric home and want to replace the old water heater with an electric tankless whole house hot water heater. Gas is not available where we are. Is it practical?

How do you adjust the gas pressure to the burner on a propane water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have a new propane water heater. The burner is very noisy. How do you adjust the gas pressure to the water heater?

Hot water heater temperature [ 3 Answers ]

What temperature should I set my hot water heater?

View more questions Search