Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EMPTYFIRST Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2014, 06:52 PM
    Healthcare Ethic Question
    I'm a student needing some help in getting started with my assignment. By the way the assignment is due 2/7/2014. This part of online course where the professors are generally unhelpful. I have to 1) Identify and explain risks of not providing care. 2) Identify alternative courses of action and explain expected consequences. 3) Recommend one course of action, giving rationale. In the following scenario provided below.

If any one can give me any thoughts on how to go about researching topics for the scenario I would really appreciate it.

A man has suffered a traumatic brain injury in a major automobile accident. An ambulance has brought him to a hospital where he is admitted to the intensive care unit. The hospital learns that the man is from Mexico and contacts his family, but family members are uncooperative. The hospital is able to stabilize the patient, but he has permanent brain damage and needs 24-hour care.
    The hospital is a part of a major healthcare system that owns nursing homes. However, the patient is not a U.S. citizen and does not have health insurance. The healthcare system is concerned that it will not be reimbursed for the services it has to provide this patient for the rest of his life.
    Imagine you are on the ethics committee of the healthcare system. How should the ethics committee advise the healthcare system on the provision of care for this patient? Explain the rationale for your decision. What risks are involved if the healthcare system fails to provide care?
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Feb 5, 2014, 08:09 PM
    In terms of ethical theory this would come under,applied ethics. More specifically, clinical ethics. I would imagine that in such circumstances and ethical committee would look at the problem in terms of current policy, practice and the legal situation.

It isn't really a case of what you or I think is fair or unfair. The committee has to come up with an answer in light of what I mentioned above. Once these factors are taken into consideration a decision can be made.

I think being familiar with applied ethics and clinical ethics would be a good starting point.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2014, 08:10 PM
    Any charities that could help?
    What does his home country say?
    Who was at fault in the accident?
    Is there a power of attorney?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2014, 09:49 PM
    Not valid question, since it is based in the US. US hospitals bylaw must provide care for patients with no money, US citizenship has no bearing..
    So there would be no meeting and no discussion, the man would receive treatment

Sorry, if this is a ethics class, tell teachers give you one that is real, this one by law is not a ethical issue, but a legal issue.

Had the family been involved, then their choices could involve ethics
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 6, 2014, 08:30 AM
    'From Mexico' and 'not a US citizen' are not enough. Visa? Green card? Visitor from a week ago? Or someone who snuck over the border years ago..

If I were injured abroad as a US citizen, any other country would care for me until I could be transported back to the US, or until I paid for care there. Same goes ethically here. That might mean red tape involving governments rather than people.

1) family sues
    2) contact various welfare agencies. Or put him on a plane to Mexico City with a nurse and call an ambulance upon arrival, and bring the nurse home
    3) I answered that

This is my personal ethics. As tutty said, it depends on actual clinical ethics, policies, and US laws.
    I am giving short suggestions. You have to put your thinking cap on to fill it out more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Healthcare versus non healthcare business planss [ 1 Answers ]

What is important in a healthcare business plan that is not ordinarily included in a non-healthcare plan?

View more questions Search