Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bewitching65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2014, 02:01 AM
    Is it legal for a mobile home park to shut water off for repairs and keep it off for
    I live in York pa in a mobile home park . I own my home and rent the land. The shut off valve to my water broke and had to be replaced. The park replaced but when the water was turned on it caused a pipe under my kitchen sink to separate. We had to turn water off until next day to fix the pipe in my kitchen, when we tried to turn water on the handle broke and we had to call the park back out to fix. The water had frozen at ground level into shut off and caused it to break. I was told by park management that since this happened on a sat no one would be back out until Monday to fix and that I had to have heat tape on or they would not turn my water back on. Purchased the only heat tape in the county and my son put it on Sunday so we were ready to have water on Monday. Monday no water and had heard nothing from park management so I called and was told that they had a major water line break at one of their other parks and no one would be able to be at my home until tues. morning. Tues morning having heard nothing from park management I called once again and was told my water would not be turned back on until I had heat tape covering the entire water pipe and that I have a broken sewer pipe in my yard that I have to fix before the water can be turned back on. My lease says I am responsible for sewer from ground level to hook up to my home. This pipe first off is not a sewer pipe it is an access pipe and there fore not mine to fix. Secondly it has been broken for more than 7 years and reported to the park numerous times. And thirdly it was never broken the way it is now. I believe the maintenance guy broke it when he removed my skirting to check the heat tape. What can I do to get my water back on and do I have grounds to sue park management for having my water off for 2 and 1/2 weeks for a condition that is their responsibility to fix? As far as not enough heat tape most of the homes in my park have no heat tape at all on and they still have water. Also my oldest son was going to fix but couldn't because the water pipes where different sizes and required an adapter to fix. The park management does no maintenance at all not to roads , water , sewage nothing
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 5, 2014, 03:41 AM
    This is such a convoluted story of blame going back and forth that I would suggest first going to the town health dept and then a lawyer for an inexpensive 'lawyer letter' to the park management and owner. Such a letter says 'provide or plan to be sued' without going into all the details, and you don't even need to tell the lawyer the details. I would pay a plumber to write down the condition of each situation you describe, while you take pictures. (Can a plumber get the water back on?)
    You will have to spend money, but it will at least get done, and you can add the costs to a Small Claims case. Hopefully the lawyer letter might be enough to get this done meanwhile.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2014, 04:11 AM
    The park may have delays in providing water, of course you can ask them to provide bottled drinking water during this time and other water for use in the home.
    I would be sure to make it clear that they would be liable for such expense if they are unable to provide service in a timely manner.

So if they are in violation of the rental agreement, what do you want to do? Move ? That is about the option

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Our manager at mobile home park is overcharging for electric and water and sewage [ 0 Answers ]

I live in a mobile home park several residents whom own their own mobile homes have seen extremely high water and sewage bill or electric bills for the past five months when confronted sometimes he will say he made a mistake and reduce it then goes on to do it to someone else what can we do or whom...

Mobile Home Park Eviction [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband And I Have Been Renting A Lot In A Mobile Home Parkin Va For 3 Years Now. We Just Received A "so Called" Eviction Notice The Other Day. It Was On Plain Paper Typed On A Computer. It Only Stated That We Had To Leave The Premises Within 30 Days, It Did Not State Why, Nor Was It A Notice...

Can a mobile home park sell a mobile home without a title California? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a mobile home park sell you a mobile home without a title and if they do, do they have to give you the money back on the mobile. If you give them enough time to get the title and they will not repay you on the mobilehome. If you found another mobile home and you requested the money back and...

Mobile home park decides to charge for water but contract says they pay it: [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's parents live in a mobile home park and they say that they have been notified that they will have to start paying for water a whopping 48 bucks a month (a lot for a fixed income person) and next year 91 bucks. They do have a rental contract for space rent as do all the tenants that says...

View more questions Search