Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shiester75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Cat vomiting
    I have an 8 year old male farm cat that lives strickly indoors. I also have 2 other cats that live indoors as well. I would from time to time find a small amount of vomited food in the house. Over the last 2 months he has become very regular with vomiting, but it started as food, went to a brownish/yellowish foam, and now it is still foam but white and about the size of a quarter. He tends to gag and heeve a few times and then vomits only once and then its over. This is happening 2-3 times a day. We took him to the vet and they could not find anything definitive, they suspected that it was a food allergy, so we changed food to what they recommended but it has not gotten any better. (note* he eats strickly dry food because he is very picky, he used to eat deli-cat but was switched to purina cat chow)
    He has also lost 3 lbs and seems to be losing more and his fur is looking very matted. The vet also gave him 2 medications, one to calm his stomach (tagamet 200mg) and one to fight infection (amoxicillin 100 mg). These have not seemed to do anything for him. I plan on calling the vet again, but I was wondering if anyone could help with some info. Thanks for your time!!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 09:52 PM
    How about keeping him at the vets a few days for observation? If that is something you can afford.

I don't know when you had taken him to the vet, but if it was only within the last few days, it may take more time than that for any changes in diet or medications to work.

Have had cats all of my life and I understand and sympathise with your situation.

You might try using information contained on the following links for further assistance:

Cat Health Information by Condition or Disease ~ Pawprints and Purrs, Inc.

CatHelp-Online :: Professional Feline Health Links: Specific Feline Disease Conditions
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 12:18 AM
    Hmmmmm... this may be waaaaay off base, but many, many years ago I had a similar problem with a cat. Finally we decided to take x-rays. Low and behold the poor kitty had somehow swallowed a needle!! She had to have an operation and within days had stopped vomitting and was starting to look a lot healthier. I actually had another cat that had managed to swallow an elastic band from the mail. The gastric juices made it swell so she was unable to pass it, and we only became aware of it because of it swelling. One end of it was barely discernable way down in her throat and the other was beginning to come out the other end.

I'm just wondering if there has been any diagnostic tests done in this case? Bloodwork and x-rays are probably in order if he has lost that much weight. Usually if they aren't grooming they are quite ill. Doesn't sound like a food allergy to me. Of course, I don't know how long it has been since you saw the vet last. Maybe you should consider a different vet for a second opinion? I find it strange that the vet switched him to Purina Cat Chow if he thought it was a food allergy instead of a prescription gastric diet food.

Is he peeing okay? I would try to catch some urine in a little container when he goes (a saucer or a margerine lid works fine) and take that in as well.

Let us know how it all goes. I hope he's feeling better very soon!

Love, Didi
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 2, 2007, 07:14 AM
    The foreign body theory that diddi speaks of could be the case... who knows? Did the vet perform bloodwork? Does the cat like to play with string, ribbon, rubber bands, etc? These are all very hard to see on x-ray... we performed barium series on these kitties thathave possible foreign bodies-it's where you force feed a die mixed with a/d and take x-rays at timed intervals. Sometimes, this alone moves the object out of the system but I'm getting ahead of myself... how is his hydration? When you pick up the skin on the back of his neck, does it "tent" up or go down quickly? I like the observe at the vet idea. Another option is IBD or irritable bowel syndrome... wish these dudes could talk!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat keeps vomiting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I have a 14 year old female cat and she started vomiting yesterday afternoon,we thought it maybe a furball,but she has not vomited a hairball,she has been wretching and now has a sore throat and keeps gulping,she is hungry but when I give her food she vomits it straight back up and cannot keep...

12 Month Old Cat Vomiting Up Green For 3 Days [ 1 Answers ]

I Brought Home A 1 Year Old Stray Cat .had Her Fixed 3 Months Ago She Has Had Worm Meds .but Started Vomiting 4 Days Ago .started Out Clear Turned Yellow Then Really Green.I Have 2 Other Pets They'er Not Sick.

Cat vomiting/diarrhea [ 2 Answers ]

My cat got a rabies shot today around 12:30pm, around 5:30pm she started vomitting and having diarrhea. Is this because of a reaction to the shot, and will it pass, or should I be more worried? She is very alert and doesn't seem to be sick other than now she has vomitted about 5 times and has...

My cat keeps vomiting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there Please could someone help,I have an 8 yr old black cat who has been vomiting since Sunday evening at least 4-5 times a day.I usually give her tinned meat with a few dried biscuits on top for her meals.on Sunday I gave her a saucer full of dried biscuits as a treat.later that...

View more questions Search