Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gjs06109 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2014, 05:26 PM
    Cut out integrated corian sink from corian laminate countertop
    I have a Wilsonart laminate kitchen countertop with integrated Wilsonart solid surface sink. The sink has cracked and I want to cut it out to install an acrylic drop-in sink in its place. The integrated sink is smaller in dimension than the hole I need to cut to accommodate the drop-in sink. What is the best way to cut the cutout for the drop-in sink? I need to cut the cutout in place (i.e. I cannot remove the countertop from the kitchen).

Thank you.

Gregg
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 19, 2014, 06:42 PM
    ICorian and Wilsonart are two different product lines.
    Anyway, you can cut out a composite sink from a composite counter. It's safest if you use a drill to start and a plunge router to make the rest of the cut.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2014, 09:37 AM
    Be sure to support sink so it does not drop.You can do this through the drain hole and a 2x4 on the counter.

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 22, 2014, 11:19 AM
    Like Joy, I don't understand how you could have an integral Corian sink with a Wilsonart laminated top, integral meaning "a part of".

Show us a picture.
    gjs06109 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2014, 01:47 PM
    Sorry, I know the two products are different and didn't mean to confuse the two in my question. The countertop is Wilsonart laminate (i.e. a thin 1/8" layer of the Wilsonart product glued to what appears to be MDF board), while the sink is Wilsonart solid surface material integrated into the countertop (i.e. there is no visible seam). I only mentioned Corian because the Wilsonart product was sold to me as a cheap substitute for Corian solid surface countertop with the same outside appearance.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2014, 04:14 PM
    That is a Wilsonart composite top, not a laminate. Post formed tops are at the most 1/16" over chip board. Drill a series of holes around the old sink, using the new sink template. Use a coarse blade saber saw to cut out the old sink but make sure to support the old sink. Once open, you should be able to fit the drop in. Use a good bead of silicone.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 26, 2014, 04:59 PM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracked corian integrated sink replacement? [ 2 Answers ]

My sink is integrated with the Corian countertop. Now after six years, the area of the sink by the drain looks like there are hairline breaks. How can I replace it without replacing the whole countertop. This was not my idea. I moved into this house after the original owners left. Thanks.

Corian countertop and sink overflow drain [ 1 Answers ]

My home is under contract and they just completed a home inspection. The inspector filled up the corian sink to the level of the sink overflow drain hole and the solf drain pipe leaked at the connection to the main sink drain. I tried putting a clamp on the connection, however that did not work....

Can you cut a hole for new sink in corian countertop? [ 3 Answers ]

The finish is gone in the corian sink countertop in my bathroom. Except for the sink the corian is in good shape. Can I cut out the sink and replace it? Or do I need to just remove the whole thing? The sink is stained, scratched and ugly, can't be cleaned by any amount of scrubbing.

How to cut corian countertop [ 1 Answers ]

I am a do it your selfer recently ordered new appliancies and my new fridge doesn't fit need to take about an inch off both sides that over hangs the cabinets what should I use to cut?

How do I cut existing Corian countertop [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a replacement stove top. The opening in the counter is about 3/4 of an inch too small :( How can I cut the existing Corian countertop. My thoughts are: circular saw with a fine tooth blade, such as for cutting plywood. But I think this would generate great amounts of smoke etc. Or,...

View more questions Search